Former campaign chairman Paul Manafort pled not guilty to money laundering, tax fraud and foreign lobbying related to work in Ukraine.
The indictment states that of the 23 LLCs Manafort used in the alleged scheme, nine were in Delaware.
State Rep. John Kowalko, D-Delaware, said this illustrates Delaware’s complicity in enabling corruption through lax LLC licensing laws.
“I’m sure there are other entities out there that are questionable that we renew them year after year without a screening process,” he said.
Kowalko’s bill aims to create a process to weed out individuals and entities that use an LLC status to hide activities like money laundering, arms dealing, drug trafficking and human trafficking.
The law would put restrictions on individuals and entities identified by federal agencies as a threat to the country.
“This will enable us to guard against future intrusions, whether it be in the case of Backpage human trafficking, or El Chapo, who had a Delaware LLC with drug money, or other instances where it has been ascertained there are money launderers, drug money smugglers, arming of terrorist organizations that are filtering their money through Delaware LLCs, and it should not be difficult to identify these overtly threatening applicants,” Kowalko said.
“I think this bill is a first step to reigning in our enthusiasm to just sign everybody up for a $300 licensing fee.”
M Ryder on Delaware Dems busting on Trump… john kowalko on Delaware Dems busting on Trump… Jack wells on Odyssey Charter School board o… kilroysdelaware on Odyssey Charter School board o… Kevin Ohlandt on Odyssey Charter School board o… Willman on Odyssey Charter School Student… Willman on Compromise on starting Delawar… Will Garfinkel on Time to restrict school board… M Ryder on Did Christina’s Superint… Dpont23 on Did Christina’s Superint…
- .@ucsantabarbara found in contempt of court for failing to comply with a court decision regarding the due process r… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- "Nothing defines Twitter so thoroughly as its bias toward inaction." Yup. getrevue.co/profile/caseyn… 1 day ago
- The Neighborhood Festival 12noon-3pm EASTSIDE #compton #bethelvilla #chadwick Christ Baptist Church Your Neighbo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 2 years ago
- Story on #WilmDE lawsuit updated to include video, and city's reaction: wdel.com/news/lawsuit-f… | #netDE https://t.co/Puw1FKBVXz 1 day ago
- RT @billbretz: “Person of interest” seems like such a positive thing. Like, I want to be a person of interest. No, I am so boring. 16 hours ago
- We are celebrating Aretha's legacy down here in New Zealand! 1 day ago
- The greatest genius and grandest giant of the soulful tradition of a hated people who taught the world so much abou… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Dover (19904)- The Delaware State Police are investigating a shooting that occurred late last evening. The incident… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 50 minutes ago