Former campaign chairman Paul Manafort pled not guilty to money laundering, tax fraud and foreign lobbying related to work in Ukraine.
The indictment states that of the 23 LLCs Manafort used in the alleged scheme, nine were in Delaware.
State Rep. John Kowalko, D-Delaware, said this illustrates Delaware’s complicity in enabling corruption through lax LLC licensing laws.
“I’m sure there are other entities out there that are questionable that we renew them year after year without a screening process,” he said.
Kowalko’s bill aims to create a process to weed out individuals and entities that use an LLC status to hide activities like money laundering, arms dealing, drug trafficking and human trafficking.
The law would put restrictions on individuals and entities identified by federal agencies as a threat to the country.
“This will enable us to guard against future intrusions, whether it be in the case of Backpage human trafficking, or El Chapo, who had a Delaware LLC with drug money, or other instances where it has been ascertained there are money launderers, drug money smugglers, arming of terrorist organizations that are filtering their money through Delaware LLCs, and it should not be difficult to identify these overtly threatening applicants,” Kowalko said.
“I think this bill is a first step to reigning in our enthusiasm to just sign everybody up for a $300 licensing fee.”
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
Will Garfinkel on Forget about doing the right t… M Ryder on Forget about doing the right t… Arthur on Forget about doing the right t… Dpont23 on The implosion of the former G.… Arthur on Holy EPER ! Has the time come… Dpont23 on Holy EPER ! Has the time come… M Ryder on This how Harnett County North… kilroysdelaware on Does the First Amendment only… Steven Fackenthall on Does the First Amendment only… Red Clay Consolidate… on More Red Clay deception over C…
- Who Protects Kids When Teacher Unions Won’t? The DSEA and NEA Response To Shocking Video Is Horrendous!
- Forget about doing the right thing :The stage has been set for property reassessment to increase “public” school funding.
- Being honest somethings offends friends. However, offended friends may not be friends
- The implosion of the former G.M. / Fisker Boxwood Plant will implode Red Clay local school taxes.
- Holy EPER ! Has the time come to question the $$$ need of extracurricular activities?
- @universityofky The @universityofky defines a bias incident as “[a]ny activity that intimidates, demeans, mocks, de… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- RT @teamtrace: CNN: "When you go back to that school, how will you feel?" Santa Fe High School shooting survivor: "I'm not going back. I'm… 4 days ago
- Begin your #SUMMER at The Twenties & Thirties Millennial Summit (See flyers for details) Register for the 5K Run/W… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- Follow @acherry13
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- A beautiful service for my dear brother, James Cone. I will miss him. But his legacy lives on: vimeo.com/268635754 1 week ago
- RT @DCWarnerTheatre: PRESALE -- Justice Matters: Dr. @CornelWest and @DomenicoNPR on May 31st! Use code “DANCE” until 10PM Thursday: https:… 1 month ago
- Dover – Delaware State Police have arrested Jeffrey M. Helm Jr., 31, of Dover on multiple drug related offenses aft… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago