Former campaign chairman Paul Manafort pled not guilty to money laundering, tax fraud and foreign lobbying related to work in Ukraine.
The indictment states that of the 23 LLCs Manafort used in the alleged scheme, nine were in Delaware.
State Rep. John Kowalko, D-Delaware, said this illustrates Delaware’s complicity in enabling corruption through lax LLC licensing laws.
“I’m sure there are other entities out there that are questionable that we renew them year after year without a screening process,” he said.
Kowalko’s bill aims to create a process to weed out individuals and entities that use an LLC status to hide activities like money laundering, arms dealing, drug trafficking and human trafficking.
The law would put restrictions on individuals and entities identified by federal agencies as a threat to the country.
“This will enable us to guard against future intrusions, whether it be in the case of Backpage human trafficking, or El Chapo, who had a Delaware LLC with drug money, or other instances where it has been ascertained there are money launderers, drug money smugglers, arming of terrorist organizations that are filtering their money through Delaware LLCs, and it should not be difficult to identify these overtly threatening applicants,” Kowalko said.
“I think this bill is a first step to reigning in our enthusiasm to just sign everybody up for a $300 licensing fee.”
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
kilroysdelaware on Does the First Amendment only… Steven Fackenthall on Does the First Amendment only… Red Clay Consolidate… on More Red Clay deception over C… delawareway on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… delawareway on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… kilroysdelaware on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… Kevin on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… delawareway on CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FO… Steven Fackenthall on CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FO… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Dad tells DSEA Presid…
- This how Harnett County North Carolina Democratic Party treats V.P. of North Carolina Progressive Democratic Caucus last night
- Is a certain North Carolina congressional district (D) $$$ dealing from the bottom of the $$$ deck to one of three candidates in advance of primary? @huffpost @TheNCpress @ap
- Liberal Trojan Horse: calling for banning assault weapons is nothing more than stepping stone to eliminate 2nd Amendment.
- Delaware: No Pot for Pain but Safe Shooting Galleries for those hooked on Horse
- HB#2343: Terrorist can live in Delaware but can’t purchase or own firearms ? Walk the talk Debbie !
- Update: Fresno State University held a press conference this afternoon, announcing the initiation of an investigati… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Melania Trump issued a press statement (without her husband) about the death of Barbara Bush a full 10 minutes befo… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Follow @DariusJBrown
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- In today's gross news: "It smells like death:" Alabama endures NYC "poop train:" nbcphiladelphia.com/news/national-… https://t.co/hoyIiee7iv 18 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- RT @DCWarnerTheatre: PRESALE -- Justice Matters: Dr. @CornelWest and @DomenicoNPR on May 31st! Use code “DANCE” until 10PM Thursday: https:… 18 hours ago
- My dear brothers and sisters of DC, join me May 31 at @DCWarnerTheatre for a timely #JusticeMatters talk with #NPR… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 18 hours ago
- Smyrna- Delaware State Police have arrested three suspects in connection with a shots fired complaint that occurred… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 18 hours ago