Former campaign chairman Paul Manafort pled not guilty to money laundering, tax fraud and foreign lobbying related to work in Ukraine.
The indictment states that of the 23 LLCs Manafort used in the alleged scheme, nine were in Delaware.
State Rep. John Kowalko, D-Delaware, said this illustrates Delaware’s complicity in enabling corruption through lax LLC licensing laws.
“I’m sure there are other entities out there that are questionable that we renew them year after year without a screening process,” he said.
Kowalko’s bill aims to create a process to weed out individuals and entities that use an LLC status to hide activities like money laundering, arms dealing, drug trafficking and human trafficking.
The law would put restrictions on individuals and entities identified by federal agencies as a threat to the country.
“This will enable us to guard against future intrusions, whether it be in the case of Backpage human trafficking, or El Chapo, who had a Delaware LLC with drug money, or other instances where it has been ascertained there are money launderers, drug money smugglers, arming of terrorist organizations that are filtering their money through Delaware LLCs, and it should not be difficult to identify these overtly threatening applicants,” Kowalko said.
“I think this bill is a first step to reigning in our enthusiasm to just sign everybody up for a $300 licensing fee.”
Jack wells on Odyssey Charter School board o… kilroysdelaware on Odyssey Charter School board o… Kevin Ohlandt on Odyssey Charter School board o… Willman on Odyssey Charter School Student… Willman on Compromise on starting Delawar… Will Garfinkel on Time to restrict school board… M Ryder on Did Christina’s Superint… Dpont23 on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint…
- Odyssey Charter School board of directors are circumventing state finance law
- Odyssey Charter School Students are pawns in administrative money grab
- Compromise on starting Delaware public school after Labor Day
- Time to restrict school board election to board member’s nominating district !
- Oops my ass ! Incompetency still runs deep at the Delaware Department of Education ! And may God be on your side Secret Squirrel :)
- We are so excited to present our 2018 Prometheus Society inductees, Sam Foer, Doug Reynolds, and Kelsey Carroll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- THIS WEEKEND June 1-2, 2018 1 month ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 2 years ago
- #Delaware State Police confirm to @WDEL that ex-State Rep. John Atkins was arrested on domestic violence charges:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- IAN MCKELLAN IN A CATS MOVIE. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. (lol @MediaMeredith @DelawareJaci @55_Hours ) playbill.com/article/jennif… 1 day ago
- We must be morally consistent and politically honest — then and now. bit.ly/2zFU22m via @AlJazeera 5 days ago
- Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of one of my early texts Race Matters throughout the weekend at Dartmouth in New H… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Georgetown - The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing to investigate a fatal crash tha… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago