On the table of possible school funding reform is reassessment of all property! Sure sounds like a possible solutions to address education funding shortfalls. However, why is there funding shortfalls?
Another possibility is school district consolidation. But the gains in savings is a drop in the bucket and a short-term fix.
Organized labor within public education would love to see property reassessment. Sure their own property taxes would go up! Part of share to pain I guess! But dare ask for more contributions from employees toward healthcare cost. The impact of property reassessment would cause hardship on seniors, struggling middle-class and small business. And don’t for get those renting do pay school taxes factored in the rent.
Before we make any radical moves we must ask hold did we get into such a position? Damn right I am going to blame former Governor Jack Markell! Damn right I am going to blame many Democrat elected offices that were is lapdogs. Makell’s obsession to build a world class public school system pissed away millions of dollars. Then there is his mismanaging of Delaware economy which is still relatively stagnate! Delaware’s middle class is still shrinking and Delaware homes are going into foreclosure higher than national average.
Do we do noting? No!! However, we need to hold our state legislator more accountable and requiring them to fund traditional public school and charter schools the same a votech schools would fit the bill. In case you didn’t know, Delaware votech local share taxes is set by the legislators. Take a look at you country tax bill and you’ll see a separate line for votechs and local school districts. When was the last time you saw a tax referendum for votech schools? Never! Our state legislators don’t want more burden by setting local taxes for all public schools. Get this, they claim they don’t want to infringe on local control! If they took on this responsibility they would think twice about getting in bed with the like of Jack Markell and Rodel. Reassessment of property doesn’t end the political football with education funding. We need radical change as follows:
1. fund all traditional public schools the same way as votechs
2. Make the Delaware Secretary of Education an elected official rather appointed by the governor, Currently the Delaware Secretary of Education is nothing more than the extension of the governor arm. Much of the problems with Delaware public schools system is rooting in intrusion of self-serving governors.
3. Yes ! Increase gasoline tax by 5 cents and those funds goes towards supplement funding high needs schools.
4. Purge those legislators who supported Governor Markell’s education agenda. Wait ! Make this number
5. Purge Rodel of the education ! They were Jack Makell puppet master!
We need radical changes how we fund our public schools but can’t move forward until our state legislators step up to the plate and realize their failures and accept responsibility that can only be achieve by funding all public schools and charters the same way as they do with votech schools.