Carney calls for 75 more officers, new equipment in prisons Matthew Albright , Jessica Masulli Reyes , Brittany Horn and Esteban Parra , The News Journal
Gov. John Carney wants to add 75 new correctional officers and buy new safety equipment for prison staffers after an officer was killed last month during a hostage crisis at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna.
In the short term, Carney has authorized $340,000 to purchase new protective gear and communications equipment. His administration also has increased the frequency of random security sweeps at Vaughn by specialized teams.
For the longer term, Carney said he will ask the General Assembly to hire 50 new correctional officers at Vaughn and 25 new officers at Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution. That would cost an estimated $2.3 million.
The governor also wants to spend $1.2 million next year on new safety equipment.
lastDEconservative on Last one out of Kilroy’s… Pencadermom on Last one out of Kilroy’s… Pencadermom on Last one out of Kilroy’s… delawareway on Last one out of Kilroy’s… lastDEconservative on Last one out of Kilroy’s… M Ryder on Last one out of Kilroy’s… lastDEconservative on Last one out of Kilroy’s… Kevin Ohlandt on Last one out of Kilroy’s… lastDEconservative on Last one out of Kilroy’s… Elizabeth on Last one out of Kilroy’s…
- Last one out of Kilroy’s please turn off the light!
- Not for war! But it’s time spank Kim Jong-un
- OMG! Wilmington’s new super cop has data in his gun not bullets!
- DE PTA and DSEA bitch-slaps former DE Sec of Ed
- Public castration for the sick bastard in New Castle County Delaware! Re: kidnap and rape of a 4 year-old
- Follow @TheFIREorg
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- RT @hechingerreport: .@jackiemader and @sarahbutro accept a Society for Professional Journalist award tonight for their Mississippi child c… 2 days ago
- Follow @DariusJBrown
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- @rkern @ccarl It was such a mess! Immigration line was crazy. They luckily held ours an hour I think because it bags were checked. 8 minutes ago
- RT @duvINdelaware: Also, I can report that contrary to rumors, no one in Delaware had his leg bitten clean off by a dog this weekend. #dont… 7 hours ago
- Here is my latest piece with @surajyengde via @TheRoot -- bit.ly/2roUA8p 1 week ago
- On this day, in 1958, a genius was born. He colored the world with passion and calm. He is the… instagram.com/p/BVECUG_j_YA/ 2 weeks ago
- Presented by Public Information Officer Master Corporal Jeffrey R. Hale Felton- Delaware State Police is... fb.me/1YW0VoGqo 8 hours ago