Legislators push back redistricting vote to next year Matthew Albright and Saranac Hale Spencer, The News Journal
One of Gov. Jack Markell’s legacy issues will linger into the next administration since state lawmakers refused to pass education reform in the last hours of the legislative session.
A plan that was hailed as historic by civic leaderswould have shifted money toward high-poverty schools and redistricted parts of Wilmington, but it failed to get enough support in the state Senate before the clock struck midnight Friday, ending the legislative session that started in January.
Lawmakers ultimately voted to allow the Wilmington Education Improvement Commission, which created the plan, to continue its work and try to pass it again next year when Markell will be out of office.
His likely successor, U.S. Rep. John Carney, who is running on the Democratic ticket for governor, said in a prepared statement, “I believe strongly that we need to preserve the progress that WEIC has made and build on it next year.”
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
- News Journal’s Jimmy Olsen aka Matthew Albright has amazing brain-fart on local politics
- Colonial local taxpayers did not vote on using referendum monies to bailout DAPSS.
- Here is what Delaware Governor John Carney can do to better protect students and staff from gun violence and more
- Colonial School District on dangerous path re: take-over of DAPSS
- He’s back !! Mike Matthews blogging again !
- RT @JD_Tuccille: "This is not the first time speech has been mischaracterized as violence, and it will certainly not be the last." https://… 7 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- These darn 🦅 fans are cheering and chanting as we board the plane. This is going to be a long two hours. 2 weeks ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- RT @SeePuertoRico: Look at Flamenco Beach right now. Pure Puerto Rican paradise. RT if this is where you want to be. https://t.co/1I88GY301b 3 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- Join me on Saturday, Feb. 3rd at @Yale's 2018 #BlackHistoryMonth Opening Lecture: bit.ly/2DPmxw6 https://t.co/ApoBj0o0EO 2 weeks ago
- What happened to integrity, honesty and decency in America? #spiritualblackout #AndersonCooper @AC360 snpy.tv/2DrErEY 1 month ago
- I 95 NB REOPENED 6 hours ago