Legislators push back redistricting vote to next year Matthew Albright and Saranac Hale Spencer, The News Journal
One of Gov. Jack Markell’s legacy issues will linger into the next administration since state lawmakers refused to pass education reform in the last hours of the legislative session.
A plan that was hailed as historic by civic leaderswould have shifted money toward high-poverty schools and redistricted parts of Wilmington, but it failed to get enough support in the state Senate before the clock struck midnight Friday, ending the legislative session that started in January.
Lawmakers ultimately voted to allow the Wilmington Education Improvement Commission, which created the plan, to continue its work and try to pass it again next year when Markell will be out of office.
His likely successor, U.S. Rep. John Carney, who is running on the Democratic ticket for governor, said in a prepared statement, “I believe strongly that we need to preserve the progress that WEIC has made and build on it next year.”
Will Garfinkel on Time to restrict school board… M Ryder on Did Christina’s Superint… Dpont23 on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… kilroysdelaware on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… John Young on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint…
- Compromise on starting Delaware public school after Labor Day
- Time to restrict school board election to board member’s nominating district !
- Oops my ass ! Incompetency still runs deep at the Delaware Department of Education ! And may God be on your side Secret Squirrel :)
- Did Christina’s Superintendent Order Code Red on John Young?
- WTF ! Christina School Board President Power Grab !
- @glukianoff @ConstitutionCtr @RosenJeffrey And if you're interested in preordering Coddling of the American Mind, i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Lastly, read more about the new Facebook "political ad" database in @ProPublica. propublica.org/article/facebo… 2 hours ago
- THIS WEEKEND June 1-2, 2018 1 month ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 2 years ago
- Powers seeks to create farmland preservation program for #NCCDE: wdel.com/news/powers-se… | #netDE https://t.co/f58VXZMuDk 23 hours ago
- RT @ABC: Pres. Obama: Democracy demands getting inside "the reality of people who are different than us." "You can't do it if you insist t… 2 hours ago
- We must be morally consistent and politically honest — then and now. bit.ly/2zFU22m via @AlJazeera 23 hours ago
- Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of one of my early texts Race Matters throughout the weekend at Dartmouth in New H… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- Follow @DEStatePolice