148TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
BILL: HOUSE BILL NO. 240
SPONSOR: Representative Longhurst
DESCRIPTION: AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 14 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAMS.
This Act is effective upon signature of the Governor.
This Act establishes the Statewide Afterschool Learning Program whereby schools that meet the State approved indicator for low socioeconomic status are eligible to receive grants to support after-school homework and enrichment programs.
The grants support at least 3 hours of after-school programs that operate 4-5 days per week during the school year. The programs are staffed by a certified teacher at a ratio of 1 teacher for every 10 students.
The grants support students enrolled in grades Kindergarten through 10th grade.
There are a total of 147 Title I schools that may be eligible to participate in the program where the total enrollment in these schools, based on the September 30, 2015 enrollment count, is 78,950 students. Title I schools are schools that receive federal funds for supplemental educational services for students considered low-income.
It is assumed the additional compensation teachers would receive is equivalent to the starting teachers’ salary on the State teacher pay scale, prorated for the minimum hours worked in the program plus other employment costs. As such, a $50,000 grant per school would serve 10% of the eligible population of students 4 days per week.
This Act does not require a local match of program funds. However, participating local school districts have the ability to utilize their existing match tax for Extra Time programs to supplement State program funds.
Inflation is assumed at 2.0% to account for growth in enrollment and personnel costs.
Arthur on Former DSEA President presents… john kowalko on Are local state legislators wo… kilroysdelaware on Joe Biden “Gets It… ClancyO on Joe Biden “Gets It… Arthur on Looks like Red Clay is being s… John Young on Delaware House of Representati… Willman on Delaware Democrat State Senato… Paul J Falkowski on Is a Delaware non-profit sugge… Kevin Ohlandt on Is a Delaware non-profit sugge… kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Board of Educat…
- Is Robert Mueller Sowing Seeds for a Book of The Century ?
- Is Bebe Coker exposing the whitewashing of Delaware’s public schools ?
- Delaware Rep Bill Bush refuses to release from committee legislation that protects Delaware children from products laced with cancer causing flame retardant chemicals. Shame of Rep Bill Bush !
- Delaware’s Odyssey Charter School DOOMED !
- WDEL’s Rick Jensen endorses John Young for Christina School Board member
- Faculty members sue @UArkansas over a new tenure policy that grants administrators greater discretion to dismiss fa… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- Celebrate EASTER on the Eastside Sunday morning at 8am Christ Baptist Church 408 East 8th Street Wilmington, Dela… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- @seasidecindy @ccarl He’s the absolute best, such a personality and so friendly—he’s the life of every party. Highl… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 minutes ago
- RT @antoniacere: I saw a man walking around my terminal playing a flute for 40min and was losing my mind because I thought it was André 300… 10 hours ago
- There is joy in struggle. bit.ly/2ZoxpHD @Harvard @HarvardDivinity 2 days ago
- Joe Biden represents a past that hurt black people. Tune into the conversation on #FoxNews bit.ly/2Zk0CU7 3 days ago
- TRAFFIC ADVISORY UPDATE Lewes: E. Savannah Rd. has been reopened at this time. 5 hours ago