148TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
BILL: HOUSE BILL NO. 240
SPONSOR: Representative Longhurst
DESCRIPTION: AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 14 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAMS.
This Act is effective upon signature of the Governor.
This Act establishes the Statewide Afterschool Learning Program whereby schools that meet the State approved indicator for low socioeconomic status are eligible to receive grants to support after-school homework and enrichment programs.
The grants support at least 3 hours of after-school programs that operate 4-5 days per week during the school year. The programs are staffed by a certified teacher at a ratio of 1 teacher for every 10 students.
The grants support students enrolled in grades Kindergarten through 10th grade.
There are a total of 147 Title I schools that may be eligible to participate in the program where the total enrollment in these schools, based on the September 30, 2015 enrollment count, is 78,950 students. Title I schools are schools that receive federal funds for supplemental educational services for students considered low-income.
It is assumed the additional compensation teachers would receive is equivalent to the starting teachers’ salary on the State teacher pay scale, prorated for the minimum hours worked in the program plus other employment costs. As such, a $50,000 grant per school would serve 10% of the eligible population of students 4 days per week.
This Act does not require a local match of program funds. However, participating local school districts have the ability to utilize their existing match tax for Extra Time programs to supplement State program funds.
Inflation is assumed at 2.0% to account for growth in enrollment and personnel costs.
kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Board of Educat… Kevin Ohlandt on Delaware State Board of Educat… Dpont23 on Delaware State Board of Educat… Arthur on Delaware Governor John Carney… Sammie Gee on Delaware Governor John Carney… Kevin Ohlandt on Delaware Governor John Carney… kilroysdelaware on Kathy Jennings will win Delawa… John Young on Kathy Jennings will win Delawa… Dpont23 on Senator Carper stricken with… Kevin Ohlandt on When was the last time you vot…
- Is The Delaware Department of Education planning on appeasing Cory Booker want-to-be and take MM teaching license ? What does Whyy Guy know ?
- Look out charter school organizers! DSEA newest member Odyssey Charter will create a DSEA Charter Executive Board representation seat.
- Sleeping Kilroy’s Awakens! Forget Facebook !
- Delaware State Board of Education approves student representative to the board.
- DSEA SUPPORTS WIFE BEATER TOM CARPER !WHAT MESSAGE DOES THAT SEND CHILDREN ?
- RT @NicoPerrino: Come work with me at @TheFIREorg. We're hiring an Event Coordinator: thefire.org/about-us/jobs-… 32 minutes ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- This month at Christ Baptist Church sermon series #TogetherWeBuild study of Nehemiah. #tryCHRIST… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 2 years ago
- Follow @acherry13
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- Justice is what love looks like in public. Tenderness is what love looks like in private. This is beautiful: bit.ly/2CO0ZiJ 5 hours ago
- What a blessing to introduce my dear brother Colin Kaepernick at @Harvard University yesterday. WATCH: bit.ly/2QOPJFP 5 days ago
- Follow @DEStatePolice