A parent’s right (News Jorunal Letters to The Editor
It is a parent’s fundamental right to direct the education and upbringing of their children. When Gov. Markell vetoed HB 50 he took a stand AGAINST parents’ rights.
HB 50 was legislation sponsored by Rep John Kowalko which provided a consistent process to allow Delaware parents to opt their child(ren) out of the Smarter Balanced Assessment without fear of punishment or reprisal from district and school administration. Reduced to the simplest form, HB 50 would secure a parent’s right to opt their child(ren) out of the assessment if they believed it to be in the best interest of their child.
Our legislators need to listen to the people – those they represent – and vote to override Gov. Markell’s veto of HB 50. They need to stand up for their constituents – the families that make up our great state – and vote to support the veto override.
They are either FOR or AGAINST parents’ rights and the way they vote will show the people of Delaware whether they truly represent our voice or are merely acting out the wishes of the Governor with little regard for the people of Delaware.
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
- News Journal’s Jimmy Olsen aka Matthew Albright has amazing brain-fart on local politics
- Colonial local taxpayers did not vote on using referendum monies to bailout DAPSS.
- Here is what Delaware Governor John Carney can do to better protect students and staff from gun violence and more
- Colonial School District on dangerous path re: take-over of DAPSS
- He’s back !! Mike Matthews blogging again !
- Campus free speech bill introduced in Wyoming extends some protections, but requires significant revisions: thefire.org/campus-free-sp… 7 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- These darn 🦅 fans are cheering and chanting as we board the plane. This is going to be a long two hours. 2 weeks ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- Follow @acherry13
- Also, as @ScottGossDel illustrates, McDonald's plays a large role in small-town journalism. 9 hours ago
- Join me on Saturday, Feb. 3rd at @Yale's 2018 #BlackHistoryMonth Opening Lecture: bit.ly/2DPmxw6 https://t.co/ApoBj0o0EO 2 weeks ago
- What happened to integrity, honesty and decency in America? #spiritualblackout #AndersonCooper @AC360 snpy.tv/2DrErEY 1 month ago
- Dover- The Delaware State Police Sex Offender Apprehension and Registration Unit (S.O.A.R) is currently looking... fb.me/7vdWMEAL5 8 hours ago