Delaware high school juniors will not have to take the controversial Smarter Balanced Assessment this year, the state Department of Education announced Wednesday.
Instead, the state will use the SAT college entrance exam, which is already offered in-class to every Delaware public school student. Students in grades 3-8 will continue to take the test.
Lets get on thing straight! Delaware Department of Education only made the announcement of the actions Governor Markell is taking! Jack is trying to beat-back the override of his veto on testing opt-out legislation.
The Delaware Parent Teacher Association spearheaded a campaign last year to pass a bill protecting parents who “opt out” of Smarter Balanced. That bill passed by overwhelming margins in both houses, but Markell vetoed it. The stage is set for an override vote of that veto when the Legislature goes in session next week.
And Delaware PTA under Terri Hodges leadership said NO MORE! We are playing your puppet bullshit! But for the record Kevin at Exceptional Delaware blog gets the most credit for pushing the issue via social media.
“By substituting a widely accepted standardized test that juniors already take, your administration could alleviate many of the concerns students and parents have raised about the additional burden Smarter Balanced places on high school juniors,” 10 Democratic lawmakers wrote in a letter to Markell last month.
What our dip-shit governor doesn’t tell you is, all subjected to USDOE’s approval. States are required to test at-least one high school grade-level. Though the “states” can pick their assessment tests! All subjected to USDOE approval. You can bet Markell is looking for Delaware PTA to bail him out on the veto override movement!
Terri Hodges, president of the state PTA, called the move “common sense.”
“It’s a good thing for the juniors, because they really were over-tested,” Hodges said. “But it does not speak to the heart of the issue, which the concerns over the amount testing and Smarter Balanced itself as a test”.