Carney plan would change college aid Matthew Albright, The News Journal
The legislation Carney plans to introduce in the House of Representatives would have the U.S. Department of Education create a pilot program that would make Higher Education Savings Accounts for students who qualify for free or reduced-price lunch.
Those accounts would contain the maximum award from Pell Grants, the primary federal student aid for low-income students. At the moment, that amount is $5,775 per semester, though any increase in the grant would be matched in the accounts.
Students who perform well academically could be eligible for further contributions to the account.
Carney said he wanted to leave many of the details, like how many students would participate in the pilot, up to the department.
The system would help families plan for paying for college, Carney said, in the same way Social Security gives workers regular notice on how much they’ve accrued to help prepare for retirement.
“Too much talent is being wasted because low-income students don’t think they have the wherewithal to afford higher education,” he said.
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
Will Garfinkel on Forget about doing the right t… M Ryder on Forget about doing the right t… Arthur on Forget about doing the right t… Dpont23 on The implosion of the former G.… Arthur on Holy EPER ! Has the time come… Dpont23 on Holy EPER ! Has the time come… M Ryder on This how Harnett County North… kilroysdelaware on Does the First Amendment only… Steven Fackenthall on Does the First Amendment only… Red Clay Consolidate… on More Red Clay deception over C…
- Lawsuit bitch-slapping Delaware public schools for state’s failure to serve students mental and behavioral disorders misguided! DSEA asleep at the wheel !
- Who Protects Kids When Teacher Unions Won’t? The DSEA and NEA Response To Shocking Video Is Horrendous!
- Forget about doing the right thing :The stage has been set for property reassessment to increase “public” school funding.
- Being honest somethings offends friends. However, offended friends may not be friends
- The implosion of the former G.M. / Fisker Boxwood Plant will implode Red Clay local school taxes.
- @CAPD_freespeech Are inquisitions a thing of the past or still relevant in the 21st century? New @CAPD_freespeech: thefire.org/clear-and-pres… 13 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- @NicGarcia @ByMoriah @fvaraorta @Chalkbeat @MelanieBalakit @debbietruong @_sallyho @MelLeonor_ @DaniDougPost Great… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Follow @DariusJBrown
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- RT @heythereshelbs: #Delaware beaches ready for Memorial Day Weekend visitors, start of summer @WDEL @DelawareTourism @delaware_gov #netde… 18 hours ago
- RT @AP: BREAKING: Irish election official confirms landslide victory for abortion rights advocates as Ireland repeals constitutional ban. 15 hours ago
- Reflecting on my dear brother, the late James Cone -- New York's Riverside Church, May 7, 2018 -- #TRANSCRIPT bit.ly/2s8uML1 3 days ago
- A beautiful service for my dear brother, James Cone. I will miss him. But his legacy lives on: vimeo.com/268635754 2 weeks ago
- Dewey Beach – The Delaware State Police have identified Peter M. Rudnicki, 22, of Bethesda, Maryland, as the pedest… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago