Get federal government out of schools News Journal / Letters to the Editor
There comes a time when things reach a tipping point. I have watched for many years the creeping cancer of federal intervention into K-12 education, education is a local matter, not a federal matter. Every time the federal government interferes in education, it makes things worse. Whether it is nutrition standards that children will not eat or alleged equity, its heavy hand inevitably makes it worse. Race to the Top was supposed to help education, but for every dollar to the classroom $2 to $5 of overhead was created in the bureaucracy. Administrators spent countless hours redoing plans to satisfy multiple approvers, only to have to redo it again. Of the $100 million plus devoted to Delaware, half stayed with Department of Education in Dover. How does that help children? In the meantime, local districts had state funding cut from initiatives that were already in flight that directly impacted the children.
Now we hear of the new accountability system ostensibly done by the state to rate schools, but the federal government wants “consequences” for those who want to opt out of the Smarter Balance tests. There are a multitude of ways parents can determine the quality of the schools that serve them, including accreditation organizations, parental feedback web based services and actually visiting the schools. We all know there are some students to whom the state tests offer no value to, whether special education or gifted, they add no value other than provide some basis for this accountability system. I applaud parents who stand up for their children against the bully of state testing. Not only do the tests take an inordinate amount of time for students with little value, they monopolize school technology resources for two months of a nine month school year. In conclusion, I think it is time to just say no. No more should we allow federalization of our education system, it is time to return to local control. If that means we forgo the small amount of money we receive from the federal government, then so be it. Let them reduce the deficit or pay the national debt, not spend money they do not have.
Will Garfinkel on Time to restrict school board… M Ryder on Did Christina’s Superint… Dpont23 on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… kilroysdelaware on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… John Young on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint…
- Compromise on starting Delaware public school after Labor Day
- Time to restrict school board election to board member’s nominating district !
- Oops my ass ! Incompetency still runs deep at the Delaware Department of Education ! And may God be on your side Secret Squirrel :)
- Did Christina’s Superintendent Order Code Red on John Young?
- WTF ! Christina School Board President Power Grab !
- It's been 8 days since KU caved to political pressure and engaged in art censorship. The exhibit's empty flag pol… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- THIS WEEKEND June 1-2, 2018 1 month ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 2 years ago
- #BREAKING: Man arrested by #NCCDE Police in #WilmDE after SWAT team swarms residence: wdel.com/news/man-arres… | v… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- RT @brittanyhorn: Remember that spike in overdoses that we told you about in Sussex County? Turns out it's worse than we thought. More tha… 1 day ago
- We must be morally consistent and politically honest — then and now. bit.ly/2zFU22m via @AlJazeera 3 days ago
- Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of one of my early texts Race Matters throughout the weekend at Dartmouth in New H… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Magnolia-Troopers seek the public’s assistance in attempting to identify the suspects who are connected to a recent… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago