Rep. Valerie Longhurst criticized over ‘scathing’ email Jon Offredo, The News Journal
House Majority Leader Valerie Longhurst is under fire over an email response she sent to the University of Delaware and one of its employees who questioned and criticized lawmakers over exclusive raises given to legislative aides.
Fran Fletcher, a policy scientist at UD, sent an email from her university account to Longhurst and other lawmakers last Wednesday, writing to express her “total disgust” with the raises, some of which were substantial. She questioned where the lawmakers stood on the issue and asked what they would do about it.
Legislators’ emails are not considered public records under Delaware state law, but the exchange and succeeding emails were obtained by The News Journal.
“I am outraged that someone from leadership would use their position to threaten a constituent and their job because she asked questions about an article in the paper,” Rep. Kim Williams, D-Newport, wrote in an email to House Democrats.
Longhurst copied UD interim President Nancy Targett in her response last Friday that explained how the raises were given and pointed out that lawmakers control the purse strings for Delaware’s institutes of higher education.
“I do as ALL members of the General Assembly respect our state employees for they serve our state in many capacities,” Longhurst wrote. “We also respect our universities and colleges by supporting them through funding and benefits.”
Arthur on Is Delaware’s proposed E… M Ryder on M Ryder calls-out JY and Mr… Steven Fackenthall on Here we go again on gun reform… M Ryder on Rep Kowalko bitch-slap former… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Arthur on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Alby on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Kevin Ohlandt on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… jax2816 on Teacher claims she can reduce…
- Is Delaware’s proposed Education Regulation 225 overreaching ?
- Carney and County officials don’t have the authority to cut school taxes for Amazon re: secret deal
- Will the United States Air Force face class-action lawsuit for their blunder that cost so many lives in Texas?
- Trojan Horse TFA infiltrates Delaware’s school principal training program
- Rep Melanie George Smith needs to step-down!
- Professor @sapinker joins @freespeechtalk to discuss his forthcoming book: “Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- RT @leagueofcities: “We need entrepreneurs who take control of their economic destiny.....20 years ago @BillClinton said 'It’s the economy,… 3 hours ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- VIDEO: #FeltonDE man fires up grill for a good cause: wdel.com/news/video-fel… | #netDE https://t.co/6sQupCPxP1 1 day ago
- RT @BradMyersTNJ: Delmar goes from 13 points behind to 21 points ahead vs. No. 1 DMA #delhs delawareonline.com/story/sports/2… 17 hours ago
- We live in the unequal States of America. If you missed my interview on yesterday’s @cnni, please watch it here: snappytv.com/tc/6322942 4 days ago
- When the truth catches fire... via @cnn - Patriotism, The Players and The President app.frame.io/f/6e8SUiLq 1 month ago
- New Castle – The Delaware State Police are investigating a serious pedestrian crash that occurred on US13... fb.me/976bvzCFF 8 hours ago