Rep. Valerie Longhurst criticized over ‘scathing’ email Jon Offredo, The News Journal
House Majority Leader Valerie Longhurst is under fire over an email response she sent to the University of Delaware and one of its employees who questioned and criticized lawmakers over exclusive raises given to legislative aides.
Fran Fletcher, a policy scientist at UD, sent an email from her university account to Longhurst and other lawmakers last Wednesday, writing to express her “total disgust” with the raises, some of which were substantial. She questioned where the lawmakers stood on the issue and asked what they would do about it.
Legislators’ emails are not considered public records under Delaware state law, but the exchange and succeeding emails were obtained by The News Journal.
“I am outraged that someone from leadership would use their position to threaten a constituent and their job because she asked questions about an article in the paper,” Rep. Kim Williams, D-Newport, wrote in an email to House Democrats.
Longhurst copied UD interim President Nancy Targett in her response last Friday that explained how the raises were given and pointed out that lawmakers control the purse strings for Delaware’s institutes of higher education.
“I do as ALL members of the General Assembly respect our state employees for they serve our state in many capacities,” Longhurst wrote. “We also respect our universities and colleges by supporting them through funding and benefits.”
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
kilroysdelaware on Delaware Dad tells DSEA Presid… Steven Fackenthall on Delaware Dad tells DSEA Presid… Kevin Ohlandt on Rep Kowalko weighs in on Gov C… M Ryder on Rep Kowalko weighs in on Gov C… M Ryder on Rep Kowalko weighs in on Gov C… Dpont23 on Here is what Delaware Governor… Kevin Ohlandt on Rep Kowalko weighs in on Gov C… Arthur on Rep Kowalko weighs in on Gov C… john kowalko on Rep Kowalko weighs in on Gov C… M Ryder on Rep Kowalko weighs in on Gov C…
- Coward in Broward ! SRO leaves kids to fend for themselves. Sheriff Israel holds of tell press until after CNN’s Rubio slaughter
- CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FOR UNITY !
- CNN Stoneman puppet show is disgusting
- Delaware Rep Jaques wants to armor-up Delaware public schools. Do you support HB 49 ?
- Delaware Dad tells DSEA President like it is re: Zero Tolerance
- Most Americans are familiar with The Great Wall of China. Fewer are familiar with the Great Firewall of China. New… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- These darn 🦅 fans are cheering and chanting as we board the plane. This is going to be a long two hours. 2 weeks ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- In today's issue of Please Find the Correct Email Address, I've been invited to join William Adjemian at his AirBnb in #LasVegas. 1 hour ago
- RT @mattyglesias: I think there’s a persistent tendency among highly engaged political activists to confuse the public’s deep dissatisfacti… 1 hour ago
- Despite the abolition of Roma and African American slavery, criminalization and demonization continues. bit.ly/2ouj4ZI @guardian 1 hour ago
- Join me on Saturday, Feb. 3rd at @Yale's 2018 #BlackHistoryMonth Opening Lecture: bit.ly/2DPmxw6 https://t.co/ApoBj0o0EO 3 weeks ago
- Millsboro- Troopers of the Sussex County Governor's Task Force (GTF) in conjunction with the Delaware Probation... fb.me/90MfmkwFN 2 hours ago