Rep. Valerie Longhurst criticized over ‘scathing’ email Jon Offredo, The News Journal
House Majority Leader Valerie Longhurst is under fire over an email response she sent to the University of Delaware and one of its employees who questioned and criticized lawmakers over exclusive raises given to legislative aides.
Fran Fletcher, a policy scientist at UD, sent an email from her university account to Longhurst and other lawmakers last Wednesday, writing to express her “total disgust” with the raises, some of which were substantial. She questioned where the lawmakers stood on the issue and asked what they would do about it.
Legislators’ emails are not considered public records under Delaware state law, but the exchange and succeeding emails were obtained by The News Journal.
“I am outraged that someone from leadership would use their position to threaten a constituent and their job because she asked questions about an article in the paper,” Rep. Kim Williams, D-Newport, wrote in an email to House Democrats.
Longhurst copied UD interim President Nancy Targett in her response last Friday that explained how the raises were given and pointed out that lawmakers control the purse strings for Delaware’s institutes of higher education.
“I do as ALL members of the General Assembly respect our state employees for they serve our state in many capacities,” Longhurst wrote. “We also respect our universities and colleges by supporting them through funding and benefits.”
kilroysdelaware on Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.2… Arthur on Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.2… Arthur on Red Clay forms committee to ad… M Ryder on Red Clay forms committee to ad… Arthur on OMG ! Rodel is trying to cover… Mike Broaddus on Weak-kneed Obama defers war wi… M Ryder on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… kilroysdelaware on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… Arthur on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… M Ryder on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing…
- Red Clay School Board has some soul searching to do! I hope the new committee will have a real voice !
- I’ve often wondered! What if Bobby Kennedy wasn’t assassinated!
- Riddle me this Delaware professional educators
- Red Clay board member nails it “white privileged”
- Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.27 ! Will buyer Harvey Hanna be required to pay or is there a backroom deal ? What does Red Clay know ?
- Montclair State would be wise to recommit itself to freedom of expression rather than finding another scapegoat. thefire.org/montclair-stat… 1 hour ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- RT @KamalaHarris: Don’t let this go unnoticed: this Admin is reversing protections for student loans while padding the pockets of predatory… 15 hours ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- RT @ecpaige: On your worst day on the job, you are some child's best hope. #csdpride #netde https://t.co/hNxcgigKR5 2 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- The relative silence of those Americans who ought to be a part of an anti-fascist coalition is the real challenge. snappytv.com/tc/5522434 5 days ago
- RT @AC360: "This is life and death man, this ain't no game" @cornelwest debates @parisdennard on Trump's re: to Charlottesville https://t.c… 5 days ago
- Presented by Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Jeffrey R. Hale New Castle: Delaware State Police are... fb.me/28IIK9WEo 1 hour ago