Tax increase would fund Delaware Tech infrastructure Matthew Albright, The News Journal
Some lawmakers want to raise property taxes statewide to pay for infrastructure improvements at Delaware Technical Community College that school leaders say are sorely needed and long overdue.
Sen. Harris McDowell, who co-chairs the budget-writing Joint Finance Committee, has filed a bill that would create a new property tax. It would start in July 2017 at 1.9 cents per $100 of assessed property value.
Delaware Tech’s Board of Trustees could then choose to increase those taxes. It would not be able to raise the tax to more than five cents per $100 over the next five years and would be limited to a maximum of 10 cents per $100.
“This is the responsible thing for the state to do – to invest in our community college and in our economy,” McDowell said in a news release. “Passage of this bill will finally provide a long-term solution to the college’s long-standing deferred maintenance problem while boosting Delaware’s economy in the short term.”
Arthur on Is Delaware’s proposed E… M Ryder on M Ryder calls-out JY and Mr… Steven Fackenthall on Here we go again on gun reform… M Ryder on Rep Kowalko bitch-slap former… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Arthur on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Alby on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Kevin Ohlandt on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… jax2816 on Teacher claims she can reduce…
- Is Delaware’s proposed Education Regulation 225 overreaching ?
- Carney and County officials don’t have the authority to cut school taxes for Amazon re: secret deal
- Will the United States Air Force face class-action lawsuit for their blunder that cost so many lives in Texas?
- Trojan Horse TFA infiltrates Delaware’s school principal training program
- Rep Melanie George Smith needs to step-down!
- Professor @sapinker joins @freespeechtalk to discuss his forthcoming book: “Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 52 minutes ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- Follow @DariusJBrown
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- VIDEO: #FeltonDE man fires up grill for a good cause: wdel.com/news/video-fel… | #netDE https://t.co/6sQupCPxP1 1 day ago
- RT @BradMyersTNJ: Delmar goes from 13 points behind to 21 points ahead vs. No. 1 DMA #delhs delawareonline.com/story/sports/2… 11 hours ago
- We live in the unequal States of America. If you missed my interview on yesterday’s @cnni, please watch it here: snappytv.com/tc/6322942 4 days ago
- When the truth catches fire... via @cnn - Patriotism, The Players and The President app.frame.io/f/6e8SUiLq 1 month ago
- New Castle – The Delaware State Police are investigating a serious pedestrian crash that occurred on US13... fb.me/976bvzCFF 3 hours ago