Tax increase would fund Delaware Tech infrastructure Matthew Albright, The News Journal
Some lawmakers want to raise property taxes statewide to pay for infrastructure improvements at Delaware Technical Community College that school leaders say are sorely needed and long overdue.
Sen. Harris McDowell, who co-chairs the budget-writing Joint Finance Committee, has filed a bill that would create a new property tax. It would start in July 2017 at 1.9 cents per $100 of assessed property value.
Delaware Tech’s Board of Trustees could then choose to increase those taxes. It would not be able to raise the tax to more than five cents per $100 over the next five years and would be limited to a maximum of 10 cents per $100.
“This is the responsible thing for the state to do – to invest in our community college and in our economy,” McDowell said in a news release. “Passage of this bill will finally provide a long-term solution to the college’s long-standing deferred maintenance problem while boosting Delaware’s economy in the short term.”
kilroysdelaware on Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.2… Arthur on Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.2… Arthur on Red Clay forms committee to ad… M Ryder on Red Clay forms committee to ad… Arthur on OMG ! Rodel is trying to cover… Mike Broaddus on Weak-kneed Obama defers war wi… M Ryder on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… kilroysdelaware on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… Arthur on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… M Ryder on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing…
- Red Clay School Board has some soul searching to do! I hope the new committee will have a real voice !
- I’ve often wondered! What if Bobby Kennedy wasn’t assassinated!
- Riddle me this Delaware professional educators
- Red Clay board member nails it “white privileged”
- Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.27 ! Will buyer Harvey Hanna be required to pay or is there a backroom deal ? What does Red Clay know ?
- "Once you embark on the path to censorship, you make your own speech vulnerable to it." thefire.org/berkeleys-new-… 3 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- RT @hechingerreport: Share your wisdom. What is your advice? facebook.com/groups/amazing… #AdviceForBackToSchool https://t.co/8JwI4FP1ng 3 hours ago
- RT @TheRoot: Eyes haven't seen & ears haven't heard the blessings that's about to fall on you. Victory is here #BlackGirlsRock https://t.co… 1 day ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- Follow @acherry13
- RT @jbarro: This Robert Lee story is a [chef's-kiss] example of how stupid the news becomes in August. 5 hours ago
- The relative silence of those Americans who ought to be a part of an anti-fascist coalition is the real challenge. snappytv.com/tc/5522434 6 days ago
- RT @AC360: "This is life and death man, this ain't no game" @cornelwest debates @parisdennard on Trump's re: to Charlottesville https://t.c… 1 week ago
- Presented by the Director of Public Information Sergeant Richard D. Bratz Kent County ~ On August 23, 2017, the... fb.me/98iA568VA 4 hours ago