A new law decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana has opened a new set of questions for Delaware law enforcement.
“We have to talk with the attorney general,” said New Castle County Police Chief Elmer Setting on Friday, the day after Gov. Jack Markell signed the measure.
The legislation, which takes effect in six months, eliminates criminal penalties for possession by an adult of 1 ounce of cannabis or less for personal use. A violation will be considered a civil offense punishable by a $100 fine and would not become part of a person’s criminal record.
“It’s going to be similar to having an open can of alcohol” in public, Setting said.
A violation currently is categorized as a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine of up to $1,150 and six months in jail.
The legislation will not change any rules regarding medical marijuana or penalties for operating a vehicle under the influence of drugs. Selling pot also will remain banned. Smoking marijuana in a moving vehicle, in public areas, or outdoors on private property within 10 feet of a street, sidewalk or other area generally accessible to the public will be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $200 and imprisonment of up to five days.
“People should do this in their own homes …,” said state Sen. Margaret Rose Henry, D-Democrat, who sponsored the legislation, House Bill 39. “It should not be done in cars. It should be done in the privacy of your own home.”
Will Garfinkel on Time to restrict school board… M Ryder on Did Christina’s Superint… Dpont23 on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… kilroysdelaware on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint… John Young on Did Christina’s Superint… Kevin Ohlandt on Did Christina’s Superint…
- Compromise on starting Delaware public school after Labor Day
- Time to restrict school board election to board member’s nominating district !
- Oops my ass ! Incompetency still runs deep at the Delaware Department of Education ! And may God be on your side Secret Squirrel :)
- Did Christina’s Superintendent Order Code Red on John Young?
- WTF ! Christina School Board President Power Grab !
- It's been 8 days since KU caved to political pressure and engaged in art censorship. The exhibit's empty flag pol… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- THIS WEEKEND June 1-2, 2018 1 month ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 2 years ago
- #BREAKING: Man arrested by #NCCDE Police in #WilmDE after SWAT team swarms residence: wdel.com/news/man-arres… | v… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- RT @brittanyhorn: Remember that spike in overdoses that we told you about in Sussex County? Turns out it's worse than we thought. More tha… 1 day ago
- We must be morally consistent and politically honest — then and now. bit.ly/2zFU22m via @AlJazeera 3 days ago
- Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of one of my early texts Race Matters throughout the weekend at Dartmouth in New H… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Magnolia-Troopers seek the public’s assistance in attempting to identify the suspects who are connected to a recent… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago