Dear Supporters of School Choice,
Do you believe every parent in Delaware should have the ability to choose the type of education their child receives? Currently, parents do not have this ability. Our goal is to expand the choices parents have and to help them make the best education decision for their child. You have the opportunity to help make education choice a reality in Delaware. Continue reading for information, good news and how to take action.
School choice is a term you will hear used a lot. Let’s define this term before we go any further. School choice gives parents the freedom to choose their child’s education, while encouraging healthy competition among schools to better serve families’ needs. School choice lets parents use the public funds set aside for their child’s education to choose the schools—public or private, near or far, religious or secular—that work best for them.
School choice is provided in a variety of ways. One way is through educational savings accounts, which are becoming a hot topic in many states around our nation. What exactly are they and how do they work? Education savings accounts allow parents to withdraw their children from public district or charter schools and receive a deposit of public funds into government-authorized savings accounts with restricted, but multiple, uses. Those funds can cover private school tuition and fees, online learning programs, private tutoring, community college costs, and other higher education expenses. Educational savings accounts already exist is some form in five states: Arizona, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee and Nevada. In fact, Nevada just became the first state to pass nearly universal education savings accounts. Read more about thathere.
There is a bill, HB 161, that was just filed this month in the Delaware legislature that would allow families of special needs children access to educational savings accounts. View this video to see first hand how Delaware families with special needs children feel about this bill. The legislation is waiting to be debated in the House Education Committee. This is where we need your help! The House Education Committee Chair, Rep. Earl Jaques, has the soul responsibility of adding this bill to the committee agenda. Here are some ways that you can help ensure that this bill is brought to the committee for debate:
Email and call Rep. Earl Jaques directly at:
Email and call your own Representative and Senator. Tell them you support the bill and that you would like them to speak with Rep. Jaques about adding this bill to the committee agenda.
Find your legislator by simply typing in your address and a map will appear with the name of your Representative or Senator.
Email email@example.com if you are interested in attending the committee hearing tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, June 24.
Your support will go a long way in bringing this bill to committee and ultimately to the House floor for a vote. Please take 5-10 minutes now to make some calls and send some emails. Parents all over the state need you.
Thank you in advance for your support,
Parent Coordinator and Champion for Education Choice
kilroysdelaware on Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.2… Arthur on Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.2… Arthur on Red Clay forms committee to ad… M Ryder on Red Clay forms committee to ad… Arthur on OMG ! Rodel is trying to cover… Mike Broaddus on Weak-kneed Obama defers war wi… M Ryder on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… kilroysdelaware on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… Arthur on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing… M Ryder on Delaware ESSA plan is nothing…
- Red Clay School Board has some soul searching to do! I hope the new committee will have a real voice !
- I’ve often wondered! What if Bobby Kennedy wasn’t assassinated!
- Riddle me this Delaware professional educators
- Red Clay board member nails it “white privileged”
- Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.27 ! Will buyer Harvey Hanna be required to pay or is there a backroom deal ? What does Red Clay know ?
- We must defend free speech in the court of law and the court of public opinion, argue @glukianoff & @NicoPerrino.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 minutes ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- Bring on the rain. All 😀over here. Singing I want to go outside in the ☔️. 19 hours ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- Follow @acherry13
- RT @adr: Is there some possible way we could make Leland Melvin's nasa photo into a statue. Hundreds of statues. https://t.co/nUXNDTO5fh 17 hours ago
- The relative silence of those Americans who ought to be a part of an anti-fascist coalition is the real challenge. snappytv.com/tc/5522434 2 days ago
- RT @AC360: "This is life and death man, this ain't no game" @cornelwest debates @parisdennard on Trump's re: to Charlottesville https://t.c… 2 days ago
- Presented by the Director of Public Information Sergeant Richard D. Bratz Wilmington– Concord Pike (202... fb.me/4CdzXQ60Q 2 minutes ago