Lawmakers fighting Markell on education MATTHEW ALBRIGHT AND JONATHAN STARKEY, THE NEWS JOURNAL
Williams and other lawmakers say the fight over Priority Schools, more than any other debate over education, energized opposition among teachers and parents.
Some lawmakers have taken aim at Secretary Murphy in particular.
“We don’t see him day-in, day-out in Legislative Hall, having conversations with us,” Williams said. “I think, unfortunately, people have lost faith in the Department and Secretary Murphy. They’re not willing to just go along with them anymore.”
Sen. Bryan Townsend, D-Newark, has filed a bill that would require the Secretary of Education to have at least 10 years’ experience in schools, at least of six of them as a classroom teacher.
That bill aims to address criticism of Murphy, who was a classroom teacher for only three years before climbing the ranks of administration and education nonprofits.
The Delaware State Education Association, the state’s largest teachers’ union, voted no confidence in Murphy earlier this year, the first time the organization has taken such a step.
delawareway on Rep Baumdick & Sen Suckola… Steven Fackenthall on What happens to a local school… john kowalko on What happens to a local school… Dpont23 on What happens to a local school… M Ryder on Gov Carney’s swipe at te… Arthur on What happens to a local school… M Ryder on What happens to a local school… delawareway on What happens to a local school… Arthur on Gov Carney’s swipe at te… john kowalko on Gov Carney’s swipe at te…
- Rep Baumbach & Senator Sokola excludes charter school board members from their communist legislation to remove traditional public school board members
- Rep Baumdick & Sen Suckola tells CSD Board Member John Young; Kiss Gov Carney’s Ass or We’ll Remove You!
- Delaware Rep Kowalko Speaks Out Against Baumbach and Sokola Communist Legislation
- What happens to a local school board member who doesn’t play ball with Governor John Carney!
- Delaware State Rep Kowalko puts Gov Mar-Carney in the corner re: Gov’s over-reaching Christina School District Plan
- Are you a student interested in learning about your rights on campus? FIRE's Guides can help: thefire.org/first-amendmen… 13 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Sign up for @TaraGarciaM's excellent "Future of Learning" newsletter for @hechingerreport. I highly recommend it. 💯 hechingerreport.us2.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=66… 4 days ago
- I have a sneaky suspicion that tonight’s snow has snuck up on public works. No trucks are in sight. No salt on the streets. #HEYWEATHERMAN 4 days ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- RT @JohnCarneyDE: Repeal of #netneutrality rules could increase costs for consumers and small businesses, and limit access to important onl… 1 day ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- .@tanehisicoates fetishizes white supremacy. His analysis/vision of our world is too narrow & dangerously misleadin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Yet prophetic fight back still looms large. #RaceMatters #newintro #25yearslater Link to purchase: amzn.to/2koqRd0 1 week ago
- Rehoboth Beach – Aaron Jenkins has been located, the Gold Alert has been cancelled. Gold Alert Issued for... fb.me/6jpIdGiJr 16 hours ago