Lawmakers fighting Markell on education MATTHEW ALBRIGHT AND JONATHAN STARKEY, THE NEWS JOURNAL
Williams and other lawmakers say the fight over Priority Schools, more than any other debate over education, energized opposition among teachers and parents.
Some lawmakers have taken aim at Secretary Murphy in particular.
“We don’t see him day-in, day-out in Legislative Hall, having conversations with us,” Williams said. “I think, unfortunately, people have lost faith in the Department and Secretary Murphy. They’re not willing to just go along with them anymore.”
Sen. Bryan Townsend, D-Newark, has filed a bill that would require the Secretary of Education to have at least 10 years’ experience in schools, at least of six of them as a classroom teacher.
That bill aims to address criticism of Murphy, who was a classroom teacher for only three years before climbing the ranks of administration and education nonprofits.
The Delaware State Education Association, the state’s largest teachers’ union, voted no confidence in Murphy earlier this year, the first time the organization has taken such a step.
M Ryder on M Ryder calls-out JY and Mr… Steven Fackenthall on Here we go again on gun reform… M Ryder on Rep Kowalko bitch-slap former… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Arthur on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Alby on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Kevin Ohlandt on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… jax2816 on Teacher claims she can reduce… Arthur on Rep Kowalko bitch-slap former…
- Princeton grad apparently can’t do basic research on unions and their roles
- Senator John McCain drops to knees for Joe Biden! Not a hero in my book!
- Wake up Delaware Governor John Carney!
- Trump wants to end welfare subsides for insurance companies ! GOOD FOR HIM
- Rep Kowalko taking on DPL rate increase request! Join him !
- The first step to ensuring rights are protected on campus is to find out if your school's policies restrict speech. d28htnjz2elwuj.cloudfront.net/wp-content/upl… 4 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- #Congrats to @DelStateUniv President Dr. Harry Williams incoming President/CEO @tmcf_hbcu delawareonline.com/story/news/edu… https://t.co/vAGwalgGZg 4 hours ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- WWII serviceman's sacrifice honored in #WilmDE: wdel.com/news/facebook/… | #netDE via @markfowser @SenatorCarper https://t.co/0vSntaNetg 3 hours ago
- RT @JohnCarneyDE: Looking for a win this Monday night! #FlyEaglesFly https://t.co/StZTvOVaIz 1 hour ago
- When the truth catches fire... via @cnn - Patriotism, The Players and The President app.frame.io/f/6e8SUiLq 3 weeks ago
- RT @HarvardDivinity: Back from #Charlottesville! Don't miss @CornelWest's Convocation address streaming LIVE today at 330 pm: https://t.co/… 1 month ago
- West Rehoboth - The Delaware State Police are currently on the scene of a shooting that occurred earlier this... fb.me/1kzaLcvfz 2 hours ago