Caesar Rodney columnist wrong
The recent “Comment” column by Dr. John Stapleford titled “The Special value of those who run our state” was either poorly researched or intentionally dishonest. Either way, it does not bolster the credibility of the Caesar Rodney Institute, of which he is president. The salary of a legislator in 2013 was $44,041 a year – not $59,000, as Dr. Stapleford claims. This represents a 4.65 percent increase from 2007 to 2013 (not 17.3 percent) which is 5.5 percent less than private-sector increases over the same period. Some legislators who serve in leadership positions or on certain committees received a stipend for their additional duties but many legislators do not receive any stipends.
Dr. Stapleford’s claim that legislators work only six months out of the year is intentionally dishonest. He knows better. Senators serve (on average) 42,000 constituents each, and House members serve approximately 21,000 each. We serve those constituents and their communities seven days a week, 52 weeks a year.
Finally, Dr. Stapleford claims that legislators’ salaries are set by the Delaware Compensation Commission, “of whom 5 out of 6 members are legislators and 1 member is from the private sector.” For the record, no legislators serve on that Commission.
Sen. Karen Peterson
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
kilroysdelaware on Does the First Amendment only… Steven Fackenthall on Does the First Amendment only… Red Clay Consolidate… on More Red Clay deception over C… delawareway on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… delawareway on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… kilroysdelaware on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… Kevin on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… delawareway on CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FO… Steven Fackenthall on CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FO… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Dad tells DSEA Presid…
- HB#2343: Terrorist can live in Delaware but can’t purchase or own firearms ? Walk the talk Debbie !
- More Red Clay deception over Conrad Schools of Science! Lawsuit brewing!
- Does the First Amendment only apply for student walkouts if the issue is gun control ?
- Delaware legislators wants schools to complete for safety and security funding !
- Delaware Legislators to make air-soft guns illegal for those under the age of 16 and OMG legislation with more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese
- New @freespeechtalk features a First Amendment Salon debate about Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Com… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 22 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- @LearnLeapFly @matt_barnum Read my publication before pitching stories, for starters. Don't send generic pitches. 14 hours ago
- Follow @DariusJBrown
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- #Bermuda Police: Autopsy shows former @ArchmereAcademy student died after "long fall:" wdel.com/news/video-ber… |… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 16 hours ago
- Pitch e-mail: "It’s Adam from Ministry of Forbidden Knowledge in Fort Lauderdale." 49 minutes ago
- Despite the abolition of Roma and African American slavery, criminalization and demonization continues. bit.ly/2ouj4ZI @guardian 4 weeks ago
- Join me on Saturday, Feb. 3rd at @Yale's 2018 #BlackHistoryMonth Opening Lecture: bit.ly/2DPmxw6 https://t.co/ApoBj0o0EO 1 month ago
- Bridgeville- The Delaware State Police Troop 5 will be hosting a Town Hall Meeting to provide the public with its 2… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago