Caesar Rodney columnist wrong
The recent “Comment” column by Dr. John Stapleford titled “The Special value of those who run our state” was either poorly researched or intentionally dishonest. Either way, it does not bolster the credibility of the Caesar Rodney Institute, of which he is president. The salary of a legislator in 2013 was $44,041 a year – not $59,000, as Dr. Stapleford claims. This represents a 4.65 percent increase from 2007 to 2013 (not 17.3 percent) which is 5.5 percent less than private-sector increases over the same period. Some legislators who serve in leadership positions or on certain committees received a stipend for their additional duties but many legislators do not receive any stipends.
Dr. Stapleford’s claim that legislators work only six months out of the year is intentionally dishonest. He knows better. Senators serve (on average) 42,000 constituents each, and House members serve approximately 21,000 each. We serve those constituents and their communities seven days a week, 52 weeks a year.
Finally, Dr. Stapleford claims that legislators’ salaries are set by the Delaware Compensation Commission, “of whom 5 out of 6 members are legislators and 1 member is from the private sector.” For the record, no legislators serve on that Commission.
Sen. Karen Peterson
Arthur on Delaware State Representative… kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Representative… Louise Truitt-Cecce on Delaware State Representative… Arthur on Former DSEA President presents… john kowalko on Are local state legislators wo… kilroysdelaware on Joe Biden “Gets It… ClancyO on Joe Biden “Gets It… Arthur on Looks like Red Clay is being s… John Young on Delaware House of Representati… Willman on Delaware Democrat State Senato…
- CNN Chris Cuomo stoking the flames of war with Iran
- Delaware State Representative Paul Baumbach leads the Socialist charge on charging “state” fuel tax by the mile via mail not at the pump
- Is Robert Mueller Sowing Seeds for a Book of The Century ?
- Is Bebe Coker exposing the whitewashing of Delaware’s public schools ?
- Delaware Rep Bill Bush refuses to release from committee legislation that protects Delaware children from products laced with cancer causing flame retardant chemicals. Shame of Rep Bill Bush !
- This month in FIRE history: In 2013, a FIRE staffer wrote about discovering a private organization charging thousan… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- Celebrate EASTER on the Eastside Sunday morning at 8am Christ Baptist Church 408 East 8th Street Wilmington, Dela… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- Saw 3 Frenchies in 3 minutes and I’m moving back to #Boston. #byeforever ✌🏻 cc: @ccarl 13 minutes ago
- RT @petersagal: Just got off the plane in PHI following an elderly man (over 80) slowly up the jetway and got to listen to him quietly sing… 2 hours ago
- To beat Trump in 2020, we need someone with energy and enthusiasm to fire the people up! washex.am/2Xul1c6 via @dcexaminer 1 day ago
- I’ve got white supremacy inside of me...I grew up in America. I have to conquer it every day.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Traffic Advisory- Brenford Rd Smyrna- closed due to crash. 1 hour ago