After losing a legal battle with the state, Delaware’s only all-girls public school will likely close at the end of the year.
Judge Leonard P. Stark in U.S. District Court ruled Monday that Reach Academy for Girls did not prove the state Board of Education erred in revoking the school’s charter.
Lloyd Casson, chair of Reach’s board, said the school community is “stunned.”
“We don’t have a lot more to say than that, honestly,” Casson said. “Soon we’ll be gathering to talk about what the next steps will be.”
Next step sadly is the last!
Under a “sunset provision,” state law previously barred any same-sex public schools from opening. The law was recently revised to now allow one for each gender.
“While the closure of Reach will result in girls not having the same opportunity as boys for some unknown period – apparently at least two years, given the time it takes for an application for a new charter school to be prepared, considered and approved – it will also create an opportunity that does not exist now for another all-girls charter school to be approved,” Stark said.
If state legislators introduce and push legislation that allow the City of Wilmington to charter schools Reach and Moyer can move their charters under Wilmington’s chartering authority and stay on track to open next fall. Reach and Moyer parents need to urge their local elected state representative and Wilmington officials to make this happen!
“What the state is doing is taking away the only thing these kids have right now, which is hope,” Street said. “They know full well that these kids are returning to a hopeless situation.
What the city is doing by not being a charter school authorizing authority is turning their backs on these children.
And where was Markell’s or DE DE’s charter unit’s comments? Sad!