Thanks to Ms Ravitch’s blog post on this very important subject and thanks to Ms. Buckley and Mr.Ohlandt for their incisive and relevant comments. I am a State Representative in Delaware and I have found it to be statistically provable and accurate that the Delaware Charter School law, as written. has permitted (and encouraged) a segregation of minorities, low-income and special needs students throughout the entire public school system. This law was/is inherently flawed and the recently passed HB 165, promoted as a charter law reform measure, contributes to a further segregation of student population and resources $$$. I made numerous attempts to amend the bill and could not muster the votes due to pressure brought by the wealthy charter school network and its patron organizations such as RODEL, Vision Network and Innovative Schools et.al. If the amount of money being spent to fight legitimate reform needed in the charter school law is any indication, then it is surely a hugely profitable venture for those privateers of public education who seek to drain public taxpayer money and resources from the less fortunate. An average of 8-10 well-heeled lobbyists roam the halls of Dover whenever legitimate attempts to correct the many flaws in the existing code are proffered or whenever there is a proposal to create more access to public funding (exclusive to charter schools) that they support. Quite frankly it can be exhausting, encouraging those people who have an appropriate sense of fairness, justice and equality for all, to raise their voices and demand fair-play. This is notable and somewhat understandable, especially in the face of such a logistically wealthier special interest that seems to promote a tunnel-vision ambition that excludes many more than it includes and erodes already inadequate resources that are needed to provide equal and accessible educational opportunities for all Delawareans. So let me express my thanks to ACLU and CLASI and all of the Buckleys and Ohlandts and Ravitchs who clearly see the reality that this is an honest and just fight for equality. Let me conclude with an apology for my own failure to convince enough of my colleagues and others of influence that we, on behalf of all of the children and families in Delaware, must do better and must do more to correct these inequities.
State Representative John Kowalko (25th District Newark)
M Ryder on M Ryder calls-out JY and Mr… Steven Fackenthall on Here we go again on gun reform… M Ryder on Rep Kowalko bitch-slap former… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Arthur on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Alby on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… Kevin Ohlandt on Delaware Liberal spanks Brian… jax2816 on Teacher claims she can reduce… Arthur on Rep Kowalko bitch-slap former…
- Princeton grad apparently can’t do basic research on unions and their roles
- Senator John McCain drops to knees for Joe Biden! Not a hero in my book!
- Wake up Delaware Governor John Carney!
- Trump wants to end welfare subsides for insurance companies ! GOOD FOR HIM
- Rep Kowalko taking on DPL rate increase request! Join him !
- The first step to ensuring rights are protected on campus is to find out if your school's policies restrict speech. d28htnjz2elwuj.cloudfront.net/wp-content/upl… 4 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- #Congrats to @DelStateUniv President Dr. Harry Williams incoming President/CEO @tmcf_hbcu delawareonline.com/story/news/edu… https://t.co/vAGwalgGZg 4 hours ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- WWII serviceman's sacrifice honored in #WilmDE: wdel.com/news/facebook/… | #netDE via @markfowser @SenatorCarper https://t.co/0vSntaNetg 3 hours ago
- RT @JohnCarneyDE: Looking for a win this Monday night! #FlyEaglesFly https://t.co/StZTvOVaIz 1 hour ago
- When the truth catches fire... via @cnn - Patriotism, The Players and The President app.frame.io/f/6e8SUiLq 3 weeks ago
- RT @HarvardDivinity: Back from #Charlottesville! Don't miss @CornelWest's Convocation address streaming LIVE today at 330 pm: https://t.co/… 1 month ago
- West Rehoboth - The Delaware State Police are currently on the scene of a shooting that occurred earlier this... fb.me/1kzaLcvfz 2 hours ago