Parent Refusal to Student Assessment
What you need to know
The Smarter Balanced assessments are a key part of implementing the Common Core State Standards and preparing all students for success in college and careers. Delaware’s move to the Smarter Balanced assessment system replaces previous tests, offering significant improvements over assessments of the past. The Smarter assessments provide an academic checkup by measuring real-world skills such as critical thinking and problem solving. In addition, through optional formative assessments and a digital resource library and interim item bank, Smarter provides information during the year to give teachers and parents a better picture of where students are succeeding and where they need help.
In Delaware, the purpose of state testing is to ensure students get the help they need to graduate with the knowledge and skills they need to make the most of their talents. The Delaware Department of Education recognizes state testing as an important part of understanding how schools, districts and the state are doing in educating and preparing students for college and careers. This is the primary way we can know if we are making appropriate progress toward educating students on the academic standards. Student testing also helps districts and schools identify if there are specific populations within their school that are behind and may need extra assistance. And state testing helps parents understand how their child is doing in comparison to students in other schools.
That said, we cannot spend precious student and teacher time on assessments that do not offer this important information. The Delaware Department of Education over the past two years has eliminated some required tests and its switch this year to the Smarter assessments will reduce the number of times students take the state English language arts and mathematics assessments from up to three times a year to only one. There are no provisions in state or federal regulation that allow Delaware to have a system for parents to refuse student assessment. In addition, state and federal laws are clear that there is an expectation that all students will participate in the state assessment system. The only instances in which students can be excluded relate to exemption requests. Only two reasons are allowable for requests for exemptions: extreme medical incidents or for reasons of mental health of the child (each requires documentation from a physician).
State Code: http://delcode.delaware.gov/title14/c001/sc04/index.shtml
ESEA, Subpart 1, Subsection 1111(b)(3):
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
kilroysdelaware on Does the First Amendment only… Steven Fackenthall on Does the First Amendment only… Red Clay Consolidate… on More Red Clay deception over C… delawareway on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… delawareway on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… kilroysdelaware on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… Kevin on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… delawareway on CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FO… Steven Fackenthall on CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FO… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Dad tells DSEA Presid…
- HB#2343: Terrorist can live in Delaware but can’t purchase or own firearms ? Walk the talk Debbie !
- More Red Clay deception over Conrad Schools of Science! Lawsuit brewing!
- Does the First Amendment only apply for student walkouts if the issue is gun control ?
- Delaware legislators wants schools to complete for safety and security funding !
- Delaware Legislators to make air-soft guns illegal for those under the age of 16 and OMG legislation with more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese
- Congratulations to @CMCnews on becoming the first college in California to earn FIRE’s highest rating for free spee… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- “We believe in the idea of trying on different identities: ‘I’m going to be a photographer, robotics engineer, or a… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 minutes ago
- REGISTER individually or a team for the Route 9 5K Run/Walk at Races2Run.com https://t.co/r8jwKhZLfB 1 day ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- IMPORTANT: The Pastor's Response document provided in this @WDEL story has higher Stewardship Assessment fees than… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 minutes ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- Despite the abolition of Roma and African American slavery, criminalization and demonization continues. bit.ly/2ouj4ZI @guardian 3 weeks ago
- Join me on Saturday, Feb. 3rd at @Yale's 2018 #BlackHistoryMonth Opening Lecture: bit.ly/2DPmxw6 https://t.co/ApoBj0o0EO 1 month ago
- Sussex County- The Delaware State Police has partnered with the Delaware Department of Education in hosting Violent… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 34 minutes ago