Charter school to occupy Wilmington Blue Cross space Yann Ranaivo, The News Journal
A Philadelphia-based charter school will operate its Wilmington campus out of a six-story building in the city’s downtown that is widely known as the former home of the local Blue Cross Blue Shield affiliate.
Freire Charter School, which received approval from Delaware in April to open a Wilmington campus, will start classes at its newest location in August, a top school official said.
Freire’s Wilmington location, which overlooks the Brandywine and is located at 201 W. 14th St., will be a five-grade school that will enroll a total of 336 eighth-, ninth- and 10th-graders during its first year.
The school will then add 112 juniors in its second year and another 112 seniors by its third year.
The charter school will probably take up about three floors its first year and later will occupy most of the space in the building, said Bill Porter, who will run the Wilmington campus.
“That is being worked out right now. Nothing is finalized yet,” Porter said. “It will be a larger space as the school grows.”
Porter didn’t say how parking arrangements for Freire employees will work but said the school will offer free DART bus passes to students, a move he expects will help control pickups and drop-offs.
He said he also expects students to use the DART stops at Rodney Square, which is well outside the neighborhood.
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
kilroysdelaware on Does the First Amendment only… Steven Fackenthall on Does the First Amendment only… Red Clay Consolidate… on More Red Clay deception over C… delawareway on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… delawareway on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… kilroysdelaware on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… Kevin on The Little Delaware Boy who bl… delawareway on CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FO… Steven Fackenthall on CNN KILLED THE CONVERSATION FO… kilroysdelaware on Delaware Dad tells DSEA Presid…
- HB#2343: Terrorist can live in Delaware but can’t purchase or own firearms ? Walk the talk Debbie !
- More Red Clay deception over Conrad Schools of Science! Lawsuit brewing!
- Does the First Amendment only apply for student walkouts if the issue is gun control ?
- Delaware legislators wants schools to complete for safety and security funding !
- Delaware Legislators to make air-soft guns illegal for those under the age of 16 and OMG legislation with more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese
- New @freespeechtalk features a First Amendment Salon debate about Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Com… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- @LearnLeapFly @matt_barnum Read my publication before pitching stories, for starters. Don't send generic pitches. 3 hours ago
- Follow @DariusJBrown
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- #Bermuda Police: Autopsy shows former @ArchmereAcademy student died after "long fall:" wdel.com/news/video-ber… |… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- RT @thistallawkgirl: Watching the current president and former vice president threaten to beat each other up is a powerful reminder that wo… 7 hours ago
- Despite the abolition of Roma and African American slavery, criminalization and demonization continues. bit.ly/2ouj4ZI @guardian 4 weeks ago
- Join me on Saturday, Feb. 3rd at @Yale's 2018 #BlackHistoryMonth Opening Lecture: bit.ly/2DPmxw6 https://t.co/ApoBj0o0EO 1 month ago
- Harrington- Michael J. Morris has been located in good condition. The Gold Alert has been canceled. Click to view… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago