Charter school to occupy Wilmington Blue Cross space Yann Ranaivo, The News Journal
A Philadelphia-based charter school will operate its Wilmington campus out of a six-story building in the city’s downtown that is widely known as the former home of the local Blue Cross Blue Shield affiliate.
Freire Charter School, which received approval from Delaware in April to open a Wilmington campus, will start classes at its newest location in August, a top school official said.
Freire’s Wilmington location, which overlooks the Brandywine and is located at 201 W. 14th St., will be a five-grade school that will enroll a total of 336 eighth-, ninth- and 10th-graders during its first year.
The school will then add 112 juniors in its second year and another 112 seniors by its third year.
The charter school will probably take up about three floors its first year and later will occupy most of the space in the building, said Bill Porter, who will run the Wilmington campus.
“That is being worked out right now. Nothing is finalized yet,” Porter said. “It will be a larger space as the school grows.”
Porter didn’t say how parking arrangements for Freire employees will work but said the school will offer free DART bus passes to students, a move he expects will help control pickups and drop-offs.
He said he also expects students to use the DART stops at Rodney Square, which is well outside the neighborhood.
kilroysdelaware on Open Mic for Charter School of… kilroysdelaware on O Henry ! CSW Teachers votes y… Mike Broaddus on O Henry ! CSW Teachers votes y… Arthur on O Henry ! CSW Teachers votes y… M Ryder on Forget about doing the right t… melissa on Forget about doing the right t… Will Garfinkel on Forget about doing the right t… M Ryder on Forget about doing the right t… Arthur on Forget about doing the right t… Dpont23 on The implosion of the former G.…
- Black lives only matter during election time and in the mean time, racial bias laws continue to separate African-American children from their parents using bars and razor wire.
- Obama caught telling white lies about immigration
- Breaking News ! Bill Clinton share Trumps views on illegal immigrants
- Bad Ass 2016 Shelby GT350 at Boulevard Ford Lewes Delaware. Ask for AJ
- Charter School of Wilmington needs radical leadership change ASAP or kneel before DSEA! @project_veritas
- These programs are technically legal, but this kind of surveillance is absolutely chilling to speech. 3/3 9 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- RT @jackiemader: Migrant children who are separated from their parents and guardians are at risk of experiencing "toxic stress," which impe… 8 hours ago
- THIS WEEKEND June 1-2, 2018 3 weeks ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 2 years ago
- Follow @acherry13
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- On July 14 and 15, I’ll be @Dartmouth to celebrate the 25th anniversary of "Race Matters" with lectures, presentati… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- For Corporate America, there will always be an ambiguity between doing well and doing good. @AC360 #cnn #ABC… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 weeks ago
- Wilmington– Delaware State Police are continuing to investigate a serious crash involving a motorcycle that occurre… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago