Charter school to occupy Wilmington Blue Cross space Yann Ranaivo, The News Journal
A Philadelphia-based charter school will operate its Wilmington campus out of a six-story building in the city’s downtown that is widely known as the former home of the local Blue Cross Blue Shield affiliate.
Freire Charter School, which received approval from Delaware in April to open a Wilmington campus, will start classes at its newest location in August, a top school official said.
Freire’s Wilmington location, which overlooks the Brandywine and is located at 201 W. 14th St., will be a five-grade school that will enroll a total of 336 eighth-, ninth- and 10th-graders during its first year.
The school will then add 112 juniors in its second year and another 112 seniors by its third year.
The charter school will probably take up about three floors its first year and later will occupy most of the space in the building, said Bill Porter, who will run the Wilmington campus.
“That is being worked out right now. Nothing is finalized yet,” Porter said. “It will be a larger space as the school grows.”
Porter didn’t say how parking arrangements for Freire employees will work but said the school will offer free DART bus passes to students, a move he expects will help control pickups and drop-offs.
He said he also expects students to use the DART stops at Rodney Square, which is well outside the neighborhood.
Mike Broaddus on Message to North Korea militar… kilroysdelaware on Will Bill Dunn run for Red Cla… Mike Matthews on Will Bill Dunn run for Red Cla… Mike Broaddus on Why is it necessary to publish… kilroysdelaware on Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.2… Arthur on Wanxiang now owes $2,015,608.2… Arthur on Red Clay forms committee to ad… M Ryder on Red Clay forms committee to ad… Arthur on OMG ! Rodel is trying to cover… Mike Broaddus on Weak-kneed Obama defers war wi…
- Why aren’t weather reporters in Florida not wearing hardhats or protective helmets?? @weatherchannel @cnn
- Delaware legislators refuse to fund all public schools the same! @dedeptofed @destateboarded @johncarneyde @
- Rep Kowalko on his soapbox bitch-slapping
- Message to North Korea military leaders save your families from Kim Jong-um #NORTHKOREA @DPRK_News
- China is North Korea’s puppet-master! Stop shopping at Walmart!
- RT @glukianoff: MUST READ: Laura Kipnis’ second ‘Title IX inquisition’ by @NicoPerrino thefire.org/breaking-laura… via @TheFIREorg #freespeech 12 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- @hechingerreport @magstock @nhannahjones Here's @emmanuelfelton's story, published the same week as the other story… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.… https://t.co/sS5AbcY0JX 6 days ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- RT @WWBroadcasters: Mayor #SanJuan "The Puerto Rico & San Juan that we knew yesterday is no longer there" fights back tears"We may not get… 10 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- RT @HarvardDivinity: Back from #Charlottesville! Don't miss @CornelWest's Convocation address streaming LIVE today at 330 pm: https://t.co/… 3 weeks ago
- The relative silence of those Americans who ought to be a part of an anti-fascist coalition is the real challenge. snappytv.com/tc/5522434 1 month ago
- Newark - Brooke Hadfield has been located and is in good condition. The Gold Alert has been cancelled. Please... fb.me/aeD9HTNGQ 1 hour ago