Charter school to occupy Wilmington Blue Cross space Yann Ranaivo, The News Journal
A Philadelphia-based charter school will operate its Wilmington campus out of a six-story building in the city’s downtown that is widely known as the former home of the local Blue Cross Blue Shield affiliate.
Freire Charter School, which received approval from Delaware in April to open a Wilmington campus, will start classes at its newest location in August, a top school official said.
Freire’s Wilmington location, which overlooks the Brandywine and is located at 201 W. 14th St., will be a five-grade school that will enroll a total of 336 eighth-, ninth- and 10th-graders during its first year.
The school will then add 112 juniors in its second year and another 112 seniors by its third year.
The charter school will probably take up about three floors its first year and later will occupy most of the space in the building, said Bill Porter, who will run the Wilmington campus.
“That is being worked out right now. Nothing is finalized yet,” Porter said. “It will be a larger space as the school grows.”
Porter didn’t say how parking arrangements for Freire employees will work but said the school will offer free DART bus passes to students, a move he expects will help control pickups and drop-offs.
He said he also expects students to use the DART stops at Rodney Square, which is well outside the neighborhood.
wgarfinkel on Momentum builds for ant-gun an… Bane on Delaware State Representative… kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Representative… Louise Truitt-Cecce on Delaware State Representative… Arthur on Former DSEA President presents… john kowalko on Are local state legislators wo… kilroysdelaware on Joe Biden “Gets It… ClancyO on Joe Biden “Gets It… Arthur on Looks like Red Clay is being s… John Young on Delaware House of Representati…
- Delaware Reef Project Seeks Clean Water And Oyster Population Growth
- OMG the Red Clay fix is in! Dysfunction
- Thanks to a few Red Clay Board member network with an anti-gun rights group just to take out a fellow board member wanting to run for board president Wednesday 8/14/2019 board meeting the pro and anti gun right groups will be pitted against each other.
- It appears the Moms pulled back the call to arm but only pulled the communication to the general public and is quietly networking with thier inner city to come out to the Red Clay board meeting and do their dirty deeds for the sake of their school board member bedfellows
- Looks like GAME ON at Red Clay school district’s school board meeting Wednesday night 8/14/2019 re: School board internal meltdown and at a historical ethical low. New superintendent is like a ship without a rudder.
- RT @TheFIREorg: New South Dakota Board of Regents policies allow for spontaneous demonstrations and ban unlawful "free speech zones." Thei… 11 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- @mims It is 11 p.m. and I just went in to the bedroom where my 3 year old is sleeping, removed a bag of knockoff ma… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
- Celebrate EASTER on the Eastside Sunday morning at 8am Christ Baptist Church 408 East 8th Street Wilmington, Dela… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- Follow @acherry13
- @DuvernayOR @ScottFerrell Oh I know. I’m saying Houma Cajuns are right and New Orleans “Cajuns” are wrong. 7 hours ago
- We have lost the greatest novelist of our time - my dearest sister, colleague and teacher, the one and only… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- Brother @BernieSanders confronts the challenges of the Democratic Party. Watch/read via @democracynow here: bit.ly/2YGFxTq 3 weeks ago
- Traffic update- Rt 113 Southbound at Swamp Road is re-opened 1 day ago