Capital school board considers allowing students to opt out of state testing By Sarah Barban Dover Post
A proposal that would allow the parents of Capital School District students to decide whether their children take state standardized tests might not be legal, according to the state department of education.
The proposal, offered by Capital school board member Kay Dietz-Sass on Wednesday, seeks to add language to the district’s accountability and assessment policy that would allow parents to opt their children out of taking Smarter Balanced, the new standardized tests that will be administered to students for the first time next year.
“We already feel as if our kids are tested to death, in this district, in this state and in general,” said Dietz-Sass, who wore a red T-shirt with that bore the message “This doesn’t define you” over an image of a Scantron answer form.
The revisions Dietz-Sass proposed would make parents responsible for notifying school principals that they want to opt their child out of state testing, while also making it clear that students could not be discriminated against or punished for opting out.
Under the proposed policy, children who are opted out of state standardized testing would be given alternative assignments to work on at the same time and place as the rest of their classmates who are being tested.
“These assignments will not be punitive in nature,” Dietz-Sass said. “Rather, it will be used to enhance the curriculum already in place in the Capital School District.”
Arthur on Delaware State Representative… kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Representative… Louise Truitt-Cecce on Delaware State Representative… Arthur on Former DSEA President presents… john kowalko on Are local state legislators wo… kilroysdelaware on Joe Biden “Gets It… ClancyO on Joe Biden “Gets It… Arthur on Looks like Red Clay is being s… John Young on Delaware House of Representati… Willman on Delaware Democrat State Senato…
- Delaware State Representative Paul Baumbach leads the Socialist charge on charging “state” fuel tax by the mile via mail not at the pump
- Is Robert Mueller Sowing Seeds for a Book of The Century ?
- Is Bebe Coker exposing the whitewashing of Delaware’s public schools ?
- Delaware Rep Bill Bush refuses to release from committee legislation that protects Delaware children from products laced with cancer causing flame retardant chemicals. Shame of Rep Bill Bush !
- Delaware’s Odyssey Charter School DOOMED !
- Jerry Falwell Jr. lauds @LibertyU's commitment to free speech while embracing his ‘right’ to censor its newspaper.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 minutes ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- Celebrate EASTER on the Eastside Sunday morning at 8am Christ Baptist Church 408 East 8th Street Wilmington, Dela… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- #JetSet | Hidden cameras in #Airbnbs not stopping bookings, @DTCChicago survey finds: wdel.com/news/jetset-hi… |… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- RT @DaveBentz: Reenactment of how my kid woke me up at 5:30 this morning. #dadtweet https://t.co/lgFKI2BQSP 57 minutes ago
- To quote MLK, we need a reshaping of our priorities! Donald Trump is a socialist for the elite. WATCH via @AC360… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- There is joy in struggle. bit.ly/2ZoxpHD @Harvard @HarvardDivinity 5 days ago
- TRAFFIC ADVISORY UPDATE Lewes: E. Savannah Rd. has been reopened at this time. 4 days ago