Capital school board considers allowing students to opt out of state testing By Sarah Barban Dover Post
A proposal that would allow the parents of Capital School District students to decide whether their children take state standardized tests might not be legal, according to the state department of education.
The proposal, offered by Capital school board member Kay Dietz-Sass on Wednesday, seeks to add language to the district’s accountability and assessment policy that would allow parents to opt their children out of taking Smarter Balanced, the new standardized tests that will be administered to students for the first time next year.
“We already feel as if our kids are tested to death, in this district, in this state and in general,” said Dietz-Sass, who wore a red T-shirt with that bore the message “This doesn’t define you” over an image of a Scantron answer form.
The revisions Dietz-Sass proposed would make parents responsible for notifying school principals that they want to opt their child out of state testing, while also making it clear that students could not be discriminated against or punished for opting out.
Under the proposed policy, children who are opted out of state standardized testing would be given alternative assignments to work on at the same time and place as the rest of their classmates who are being tested.
“These assignments will not be punitive in nature,” Dietz-Sass said. “Rather, it will be used to enhance the curriculum already in place in the Capital School District.”
wgarfinkel on Momentum builds for ant-gun an… Bane on Delaware State Representative… kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Representative… Louise Truitt-Cecce on Delaware State Representative… Arthur on Former DSEA President presents… john kowalko on Are local state legislators wo… kilroysdelaware on Joe Biden “Gets It… ClancyO on Joe Biden “Gets It… Arthur on Looks like Red Clay is being s… John Young on Delaware House of Representati…
- Delaware Reef Project Seeks Clean Water And Oyster Population Growth
- OMG the Red Clay fix is in! Dysfunction
- Thanks to a few Red Clay Board member network with an anti-gun rights group just to take out a fellow board member wanting to run for board president Wednesday 8/14/2019 board meeting the pro and anti gun right groups will be pitted against each other.
- It appears the Moms pulled back the call to arm but only pulled the communication to the general public and is quietly networking with thier inner city to come out to the Red Clay board meeting and do their dirty deeds for the sake of their school board member bedfellows
- Looks like GAME ON at Red Clay school district’s school board meeting Wednesday night 8/14/2019 re: School board internal meltdown and at a historical ethical low. New superintendent is like a ship without a rudder.
- Know your rights! Check out FIRE's guides to ... *Free Speech on Campus *Due Process and Campus Justice *Student… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- (Regrettably, you have to expand the photo to see it.) 21 hours ago
- Celebrate EASTER on the Eastside Sunday morning at 8am Christ Baptist Church 408 East 8th Street Wilmington, Dela… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- RT @markfowser: We get a parade, right? Are people pouring into the streets of #WilmDE, climbing poles? twitter.com/WilmBlueRocks/… https://t.c… 15 hours ago
- TBH, I'm a little surprised we haven't seen more anti-Delaware screeds like this in this election cycle. #netde… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- Please note my reference here to the upcoming historic Civil Rights case before the Supreme Court inspired by Byron… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- I was wrong about Queen @Beyonce! #video #blackgraduation2019 @Harvard bit.ly/2kqJ4a2 https://t.co/P1yr7ZMLzh 1 week ago
- Crash DuPont Blvd& Old Landing Rd - 113 Nb involving a motor cycle - Please use caution and avoid the area. 1 day ago