Sunday Preview: Markell supporters reap millions from state work Jonathan Starkey, The News Journal
Gov. Jack Markell’s administration has paid millions of dollars to law firms tied to supporters and former staff members hired to help shore up the state’s budget with cash from out-of-state businesses incorporated here.
A Wilmington law firm managed by Markell’s former chief of staff received nearly $2 million from the state in the last two years to help collect money owed by businesses under a program he helped create while working for the governor. State officials picked the firm, which has hired other Markell staffers, even though it received lower marks than two other bidders competing for the work, records show.
Nearly $1 million more went to Markell’s campaign finance chairman to represent the state in a Chancery Court case filed by the office supply chain Staples. The company settled its lawsuit challenging a state audit that demanded millions from the business.
In addition to Markell supporters and former staff members, state officials also have paid $120 million to a Massachusetts-based corporate auditing business that has hired two high-ranking Delaware officials.
Nothing about the relationships and contracts is illegal. But the contracts raise questions about how Markell, who came into the governor’s office critical of backroom deals that benefit insiders, runs the program that collects so much state revenue.
wgarfinkel on Momentum builds for ant-gun an… Bane on Delaware State Representative… kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Representative… Louise Truitt-Cecce on Delaware State Representative… Arthur on Former DSEA President presents… john kowalko on Are local state legislators wo… kilroysdelaware on Joe Biden “Gets It… ClancyO on Joe Biden “Gets It… Arthur on Looks like Red Clay is being s… John Young on Delaware House of Representati…
- Delaware Reef Project Seeks Clean Water And Oyster Population Growth
- OMG the Red Clay fix is in! Dysfunction
- Thanks to a few Red Clay Board member network with an anti-gun rights group just to take out a fellow board member wanting to run for board president Wednesday 8/14/2019 board meeting the pro and anti gun right groups will be pitted against each other.
- It appears the Moms pulled back the call to arm but only pulled the communication to the general public and is quietly networking with thier inner city to come out to the Red Clay board meeting and do their dirty deeds for the sake of their school board member bedfellows
- Looks like GAME ON at Red Clay school district’s school board meeting Wednesday night 8/14/2019 re: School board internal meltdown and at a historical ethical low. New superintendent is like a ship without a rudder.
- RT @WillatFIRE: Proud to see our digital First Amendment coursebook released — and very grateful to count the brilliant Jackie Farmer, Ron… 3 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- Celebrate EASTER on the Eastside Sunday morning at 8am Christ Baptist Church 408 East 8th Street Wilmington, Dela… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- RT @CBSNews: FIELD OF GOLD: Drone footage captured a gorgeous field of about 500,000 blooming sunflowers in Wisconsin https://t.co/0LWYcbc6… 52 minutes ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- We have lost the greatest novelist of our time - my dearest sister, colleague and teacher, the one and only… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Brother @BernieSanders confronts the challenges of the Democratic Party. Watch/read via @democracynow here: bit.ly/2YGFxTq 2 weeks ago
- Traffic Advisory-Front st.-Wyoming - closed due to crash 2 days ago