Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
Gary Johnson for President
Anonymous on Hillary Clinton is setting the… kavips on Hillary Clinton is setting the… kavips on Hillary Clinton is setting the… M Ryder on Will Netanyahu kiss President… kilroysdelaware on Will Netanyahu kiss President… kavips on Will Netanyahu kiss President… kavips on Presidential election too nast… kavips on Israel’s worst nightmare… kavips on Rafael Correa drops to his kne… lastDEconservative on Message to Joe Biden re: Cance…
- Fast-forward! November 9, 2016! Headlines! God Abandons Earth! Clinton Wins!
- Hillary Clinton is setting the stage for major D backlash in 2018
- Will Netanyahu kiss President Hillary Clinton’s ass ? Bibi its time to go to the opera!
- Presidential election too nasty to discuss in classrooms! CUT ME A BREAK
- Israel’s worst nightmare heading towards a victory!
- More campus leaders address free speech; some do it better than others: thefire.org/more-campus-le… 15 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- @googlechrome I figured it out. I traveled to a new time zone, and because it wasn't adjusted on my computer Chrome was throwing error mess 32 minutes ago
- I am saddened to learn of the loss of Darlene Sharp. She was a committed resident of the 11th Street Bridge neighborhood. #RIH #3rdDistrict 1 hour ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 4 months ago
- Dead whale dragged up at Port of #WilmDE: wdel.com/story/77951-de… | #NetDE :( https://t.co/uzodeKktoK 43 minutes ago
- Fascinating look at how a Mayor Purzycki would develop Wilmington: delawareonline.com/story/news/201… From @ChristinaJedra and @MargieTrenDE #netDE 1 hour ago
- THIS Weds! 10/5 5pm: I'll be in conversation w/ @dsallentess on #philosophy #pragmatism #race #justice #pedagogy ethics.harvard.edu/event/public-l… 3 weeks ago
- Join me Sat Oct 8 w/ @Carl_Dix talking about Bob Avakian's new book #TheNewCommunism 1:30pm @SchomburgCenter facebook.com/events/1128928… 3 weeks ago
- **Delaware State Police Troop 9, Odessa would like to thank the community members who participated in our... fb.me/1DLPkFyQj 27 minutes ago