Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
Break on America’s war on closing… Break on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re… kavips on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re… kavips on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re… Break on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re… kavips on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re… Jack on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re… lastDEconservative on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re… Break on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re… M Ryder on Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for re…
- America’s war on closing the achievement-gap has failed and has become a profit center for Wall Street
- Come on Kenny ! Is Merv for real? Red Clay is pleased with Smarter Balanced results?
- Hey Kilroy, I Found A Better Publius! And This One Has A Blog!
- Is The Delaware Department of Education playing a game of Where’s Waldo re: past student testing results
- Conrad continues to shed black students
- Being on @aaup's list of censured universities once is bad enough. Now @lsu is on it twice. thefire.org/aaup-censures-… 2 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- RT @dlnorman: @FrankCatalano @nicholedobo @hechingerreport no. A full EEG or even fMRI can't detect learning. A fancy headband can't do tha… 55 minutes ago
- @WilmCityCouncil honoring Darion Gray. Wilmington Youth Leadership Council #wilmde #youth #kids http://t.co/FxRBT8lMlQ 2 hours ago
- ‘KILL ALL THE WHITE PPL’: Police Investigating Racist Threat Against Residents in Maryland Town fb.me/xFhLxVLD 2 hours ago
- RT @derestaurant: Excited to be at William Penn High School today! Our Delaware ProStart Program will be featured center of the... http://t… 9 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- We will push him with integrity toward a more comprehensive vision of freedom for all. @BernieSanders #BernieSanders2016 1 week ago
- Now is the time for his prophetic voice to be heard across our crisis-ridden country. #BernieSanders 1 week ago
- Follow @DEStatePolice