Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
Jonathan on And the new superintendent of… M Ryder on And the new superintendent of… M Ryder on Former Delaware Congressman Mi… spktruth200 on Governor Markell’s NJ fa… Kevin Ohlandt on Governor Markell’s NJ fa… Kevin Ohlandt on Governor Markell’s NJ fa… M Ryder on $350 million dollars in the ho… Arthur on $350 million dollars in the ho… delacrat on And I am a racist for not voti… M Ryder on And I am a racist for not voti…
- Will Nancy Sinatra send Jessica Simpson to deliver a message to President Trump for using daddy’s My Way ?
- Does Trump’s Executive give Delaware and other states the green light for single payer health care insurance and more?
- Another dopey piece of Delaware legislation re: H.B. 36
- Dear Wilmington Delaware: why is that black lives matters only at the hands of whites and not thy brother?
- And the new superintendent of Christina School District is Richard L Gregg
- Students arrested for handing out copies of the Constitution on campus fight back with First Amendment lawsuit:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- RT @Joy_Resmovits: And about those unfilled, Senate-confirmed positions... see @usedgov. #inauguration #whosated #education https://t.co/PR… 11 hours ago
- Meeting on the Northeast Revitalization Plan Tuesday, January 31st 6:30PM-8:30PM The Achievement Center 38 Vandev… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 7 months ago
- Double shooting in #WilmDE brings total to 16 since the New Year started: wdel.com/news/video-dou… | #NetDE 9 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- This is not just about whether #Trump is legitimate or not. #inauguration #CNNinternational snpy.tv/2j9aAmH #vid 2 days ago
- @KingJames I salute your courage, my brother. #StayStrong nba.com/video/2017/01/… 3 days ago
- Presented by the Director of Public Information Sergeant Richard D. Bratz Bridgeville, DE- The Delaware State... fb.me/5XxVoyAFJ 1 hour ago