Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
lastDEconservative on Christina Referendum Does Not… lastDEconservative on Christina Referendum Does Not… Jack on Christina Referendum Does Not… Jack on Christina Referendum Does Not… M Ryder on Christina Referendum Does Not… Kevin Ohlandt on Christina Referendum Does Not… lastDEconservative on Christina Referendum Does Not… lastDEconservative on Christina Referendum Does Not… Arthur on Christina Referendum Does Not… Kevin Ohlandt on Christina Referendum Does Not…
- .@GWUtweets abandons war on context, allows student who wanted to discuss the swastika’s history back on campus: thefire.org/victory-the-ge… 12 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- So proud of my husband .@WadeMalcolm, a first-gen college student who earned this award today at .@UDelaware. Yay!! http://t.co/WRMSK33oIt 14 hours ago
- Tune in this Sunday at 7pm A Better Wilmington show #wilmde #dvr #tv #politics #community #news http://t.co/5tLVgHjrQ5 15 hours ago
- Cannot sleep again........ 6 hours ago
- VIDEO: 40+ indicted in massive bust of heroin-dealing ring in #NCCDE: wdel.com/story.php?id=6… #NetDE http://t.co/B3uUIAWNXh 15 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- Now more than ever,people of faith need to come together to wrestle w/ the injustice in our world. #Justice15 Info: ow.ly/Ly7pB 20 hours ago
- #MalcolmX had the courage to risk life and limb to speak of the painful truths about America. ow.ly/Ndgc8 1 week ago
- Follow @DEStatePolice