Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
Gary Johnson for President
lastDEconservative on OMG!!When is DSEA’s elec… jax2816 on OMG!!When is DSEA’s elec… M Ryder on M Ryder is flipping cars at Ki… Kevin Ohlandt on M Ryder is flipping cars at Ki… lastDEconservative on More proof Delaware traditiona… Joanne Christian on Hillary Clinton supports raisi… M Ryder is flipping… on More proof Delaware traditiona… M Ryder on More proof Delaware traditiona… Arthur on More proof Delaware traditiona… Pencadermom on Smyrna District Supervisor nee…
- Join Kilroy in a viable call to reforming funding for Delaware’s traditional and charter schools! DSEA will you join me in this mission ?
- The problem with police and teachers is the same! The idiots that manages them!
- OMG!!When is DSEA’s elections your business Kilroy ??
- The real dangers of school vouchers for Delaware (other than Matthews having a baby-fit)
- Red Clay super cries the blues because he can’t meet the class-sizes law! Wants wavier from school board
- RT @StephanieLahey: Excellent, thought-provoking #podcast from @TheFIREorg thefire.org/sotospeak/ #Law 21 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- An Oakland charter school founder pushes against the no-excuses stereotype via @emmanuelfelton hechingerreport.org/should-an-urba… 11 hours ago
- Goodwill is the monarch of this house... Happy Founders Day December 4, 1906 @GTLAlphas @apa1906NETwork 1 day ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 5 months ago
- Odessa National Golf Club owes $500K in back taxes as Appo seeks a referendum: wdel.com/story/78584-od… | #NetDE… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- RT @democracynow: .@CornelWest on DAPL: "This is the biggest coming together since the 19th century for indigenous peoples’ struggles" http… 1 day ago
- In an emerging #neofascist moment, it’s clear that the one percent are still running things. via @DemocracyNow #pt1 bit.ly/2gEatPk 3 days ago
- Presented by the Director of Public Information Sergeant Richard D. Bratz Wyoming, DE-The Delaware State Police... fb.me/3stxsaSIM 16 hours ago