Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
MUSINGS FROM DSEA PRESIDENT MIKE MATTHEWS
kilroysdelaware on Who Protects Kids When Teacher… M Ryder on Forget about doing the right t… Arthur on Forget about doing the right t… Dpont23 on The implosion of the former G.… Arthur on Holy EPER ! Has the time come… Dpont23 on Holy EPER ! Has the time come… M Ryder on This how Harnett County North… kilroysdelaware on Does the First Amendment only… Steven Fackenthall on Does the First Amendment only… Red Clay Consolidate… on More Red Clay deception over C…
- Who Protects Kids When Teacher Unions Won’t? The DSEA and NEA Response To Shocking Video Is Horrendous!
- Forget about doing the right thing :The stage has been set for property reassessment to increase “public” school funding.
- Being honest somethings offends friends. However, offended friends may not be friends
- The implosion of the former G.M. / Fisker Boxwood Plant will implode Red Clay local school taxes.
- Holy EPER ! Has the time come to question the $$$ need of extracurricular activities?
- "When a university accedes to calls to punish professors for their research and expression, it sends the message th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- RT @teamtrace: CNN: "When you go back to that school, how will you feel?" Santa Fe High School shooting survivor: "I'm not going back. I'm… 2 days ago
- Begin your #SUMMER at The Twenties & Thirties Millennial Summit (See flyers for details) Register for the 5K Run/W… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- “We’re gonna pawty like it’s Stan’s birthday!” 🎂 🎁 #NetDE #Frenchie #frenchbulldog #stanley https://t.co/fAFsn6x4U9 14 hours ago
- RT @jeffjarvis: The BBC tweet eloquently speaks for itself but the current volume-based, content-based business model of media online drive… 18 hours ago
- A beautiful service for my dear brother, James Cone. I will miss him. But his legacy lives on: vimeo.com/268635754 1 week ago
- RT @DCWarnerTheatre: PRESALE -- Justice Matters: Dr. @CornelWest and @DomenicoNPR on May 31st! Use code “DANCE” until 10PM Thursday: https:… 1 month ago
- Follow @DEStatePolice