Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
john kowalko on What happens to a local school… Dpont23 on What happens to a local school… M Ryder on Gov Carney’s swipe at te… Arthur on What happens to a local school… M Ryder on What happens to a local school… delawareway on What happens to a local school… Arthur on Gov Carney’s swipe at te… john kowalko on Gov Carney’s swipe at te… Arthur on Is Delaware’s proposed E… M Ryder on M Ryder calls-out JY and Mr…
- What happens to a local school board member who doesn’t play ball with Governor John Carney!
- Delaware State Rep Kowalko puts Gov Mar-Carney in the corner re: Gov’s over-reaching Christina School District Plan
- Gov Carney’s swipe at teachers go unanswered by DSEA.
- Gov John Carney goes Trump on Christina School District! Parents are stupid I know what’s best for their children!
- Governor Carney pulls a Jack Markell on Christina School District ! Publius come out of self imposed exile !
- The year is coming to an end, and so is FIRE’s Free Speech Essay Contest. Don't wait, apply today!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Sign up for @TaraGarciaM's excellent "Future of Learning" newsletter for @hechingerreport. I highly recommend it. 💯 hechingerreport.us2.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=66… 1 day ago
- I have a sneaky suspicion that tonight’s snow has snuck up on public works. No trucks are in sight. No salt on the streets. #HEYWEATHERMAN 18 hours ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 1 year ago
- Follow @acherry13
- Letter to the editor subject line: "Donald Trump farted in church." 1 hour ago
- Yet prophetic fight back still looms large. #RaceMatters #newintro #25yearslater Link to purchase: amzn.to/2koqRd0 1 week ago
- Just released the 25th Anniversary edition of RACE MATTERS -- Sizzling new introduction about race matters in the 2… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- Wilmington - Delaware State Police are asking for the public's assistance, in locating Eugene Smallwood, 40, who... fb.me/8eBz7YTpi 1 hour ago