Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
lastDEconservative on Theo Gregory is thinking in th… lastDEconservative on Theo Gregory is thinking in th… lastDEconservative on Theo Gregory is thinking in th… Publius e decere on State Board Passes Opt-Out Pen… snewton929 on Just say it John Carney; U.S.… M Ryder on State Board Passes Opt-Out Pen… Break on State Board Passes Opt-Out Pen… julie on Just say it John Carney; U.S.… kavips on Why did Governor Markell Defun… Publius e decere on State Board Passes Opt-Out Pen…
- Theo Gregory is thinking in the right direction re: Wilmington Edcuation
- Why did Governor Markell Defund The Delaware Parent Advisory Council and eliminated it?
- DelTech calling for funding from local property tax assessment
- I Thought I Should Actually Honor Jack Markell
- Property Tax Reassessment only in Red Clay is unconstitutional
- Some of the recent demands made by student protesters, if accepted, would wrongly restrict speech on campus: thefire.org/calls-to-restr… 2 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- RT @BenjaminduPont: A great article about a new code school in KY, teaching coal miners to be coders: medium.com/backchannel/ca… 5 hours ago
- RT @AriBerman: Breaking: Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear announcing executive order this morning to restore voting rights to 170,000 non-vi… 1 hour ago
- And then i realized, it is not me who is messed up, but so many sheep who cannot think for themselves..... 18 hours ago
- Follow @acherry13
- RT @Chandler_Rome: Les: "Being the head coach and giving leadership here and letting my family enjoy the community and LA has been rich to … 1 day ago
- RT @CristinaRojasTT: .@CornelWest, @PrincetonAAS faculty, alumni lend support to @Princeton protest by black student group: https://t.co/0Y… 5 days ago
- Your support is needed 2 STOP Police Terror! Please donate generously to #RiseUpOctober. bit.ly/1QPHEuk 1 month ago
- Troopers Seek Public’s Help in Locating a Wanted Subject Frankford, DE- The Delaware State Police is asking the... fb.me/7qOasnyyT 3 hours ago