Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
Kevin Ohlandt on Red Clay School District takeo… M Ryder on Red Clay School District takeo… Eve Buckley on Red Clay School District takeo… jax2816 on John Carney accepting Markell… Mike O. on Red Clay School District takeo… Mike O. on Delaware Governor Markell puts… Kevin Ohlandt on Red Clay School District takeo… lastDEconservative on Red Clay School District takeo… Arthur on John Carney accepting Markell… Publius e decere on Delaware Godfather of Delaware…
- What changes will be made once Christina’s Wilmington schools are handed over to Red Clay? I have some thoughts!
- John Carney accepting Markell’s endorsement would be like taking ice cream from Satan
- Delaware Governor Markell puts Smarter Balanced test results on lock-down
- Seattle NAACP supports Opt-Out! I Shame on Wilmington Delaware brothers and sisters!
- Delaware Godfather of Delaware charter schools and Kilroy agree on one thing re: school choice transportation
- RT @SamatFIRE: Judge to Chicago State: no censorship of faculty blog during pendency of lawsuit: thefire.org/standstill-ord… http://t.co/yAguwa… 9 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Opinion: An early expression of democracy, the US patent system is out of step: theconversation.com/an-early-expre… via @US_Conversation 26 minutes ago
- RT @DEStateHousing: Presenting @the_moneyschool "Beginners Credit Education 101" Sat. 8/1 from 10-11am Wilmington Public Library 877-307-68… 1 hour ago
- Delusional! Obama: I could win 3rd term if I wanted …constitutionalfreepress.wordpress.com/2015/07/31/del… 7 hours ago
- Why can a woman never be sure she unplugged her hair straightener/curling iron? #ButIDidRight? 16 hours ago
- @urbaszewski Everybody's laughing about this story, and I'm over here in goggle-eyed horror. 22 hours ago
- I can't wait to participate in this historic event. http://t.co/MmmowWFdSl 1 week ago
- Will you sign this, and circulate to others who would? huff.to/1Hxfj6A #Feminism #Antiracism #Charleston 2 weeks ago
- Follow @DEStatePolice