Why Teach For America Is Not Welcome in My ClassroomBy Mark Naison
Every spring, without fail, a Teach for America recruiter approaches me and asks if they can come to my classes and recruit students for TFA, and every year, without fail, I give them the same answer.
Until Teach for America becomes committed to training lifetime educators and raises the length of service to five years rather than two, I will not allow TFA to recruit in my classes. The idea of sending talented students into schools in impoverished areas, and then after two years encouraging them to pursue careers in finance, law, and business in the hope that they will then advocate for educational equity really rubs me the wrong way.
Mark Naison is a Professor of African American Studies and History at Fordham University and Director of Fordham’s Urban Studies Program. He is the author of three books and over 100 articles on African American History, urban history, and the history of sports. His most recent book, White Boy: A Memoir, was published in the spring of 2002
John on Lawyers for two Howard High gi… Publius e decere on Lawyers for two Howard High gi… Publius e decere on Ken Woods to vacate Red Clay b… lastDEconservative on Lawyers for two Howard High gi… M Ryder on Lawyers for two Howard High gi… Sue Laushey on Will Red Clay require Conrad… Publius e decere on Will Red Clay require Conrad… John on Will Red Clay require Conrad… kavips on Lawyers for two Howard High gi… John on OMG ! Rep Joe Miro hits a gran…
- Ken Woods to vacate Red Clay board seat!
- Sen Chris Coons steps up and steps in to stop the IRS money grab re:student loans
- Lawyers for two Howard High girls rushing to trial setting the stage for double jeopardy insurance card
- OMG ! Rep Joe Miro hits a grand-slam re: WEIC Plan
- Victory in Brandywine re: referendum!But still changes in school funding needed
- RT @thomas_cushman: a must-read for anyone interested in higher education and the state of free speech on America’s college campuses. https… 11 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- As academic bureaucracy grows deeper, here’s who populates the layers hechingerreport.org/youve-seen-mem… via @JonMarcusBoston https://t.co/TnU4mVdsKx 6 days ago
- A Better Wilmington tune in to tonight's show at 7pm on @comcast 28. #wilmde https://t.co/JbQaGy1gAI 1 day ago
- Follow @usconsfreepress
- Woman ahead of me at @DunkinDonuts mad because they don't sell Irish coffee. Me too, lady. 21 hours ago
- Follow @TNJ_malbright
- Dear brother PRINCE...no words for this deep sadness. Loved you deeply & the precious memories shall forever enrich my soul and empower me. 1 month ago
- NY! Support my dear brother @BernieSanders, because he is supporting you. #vote youtube.com/watch?v=t7SCIq… 1 month ago
- Troopers Investigate Fatal Motorcycle Crash West of Clayton Clayton, DE – Troopers are investigating a fatal... fb.me/82zjeQk6H 21 hours ago