Federal dollars normally pay for only about 6.6% of public education spending in Delaware, but dictatorial Federal programs like No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top have seriously damaged our schools instead of helping them. Regulatory compliance with US Department of Education programs sometimes costs more than the total amount awarded to the schools. Almost no Federal money reaches our classrooms without strings attached that remove authority from parents, teachers, and locally elected school boards.
Before 1979, Federal involvement in public education was controlled by a sub-section of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. The US Department of Education has not materially improved student performance or school quality in thirty years, despite billions of dollars being poured into top-down initiatives every time a presidential administration changes. This has to stop.
The US Department of Education should be abolished, and the necessary funding and compliance services that constitute the Federal role in public education should be brought back under the Department of Health and Human Services. Except when prevented by statute law (e.g. special education funding), Federal funds for public education should be block-granted to the states, with a prohibition against the state departments of education taking more than 10% of the total as an administrative pass-through cost.
The best strategy for the Federal government to pursue in public education is to hand back as much authority and resources as possible to the school districts themselves.
Arthur on Delaware State Representative… kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Representative… Louise Truitt-Cecce on Delaware State Representative… Arthur on Former DSEA President presents… john kowalko on Are local state legislators wo… kilroysdelaware on Joe Biden “Gets It… ClancyO on Joe Biden “Gets It… Arthur on Looks like Red Clay is being s… John Young on Delaware House of Representati… Willman on Delaware Democrat State Senato…
- CNN Chris Cuomo stoking the flames of war with Iran
- Delaware State Representative Paul Baumbach leads the Socialist charge on charging “state” fuel tax by the mile via mail not at the pump
- Is Robert Mueller Sowing Seeds for a Book of The Century ?
- Is Bebe Coker exposing the whitewashing of Delaware’s public schools ?
- Delaware Rep Bill Bush refuses to release from committee legislation that protects Delaware children from products laced with cancer causing flame retardant chemicals. Shame of Rep Bill Bush !
- This month in FIRE history: In 2013, a FIRE staffer wrote about discovering a private organization charging thousan… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Follow @nicholedobo
- Celebrate EASTER on the Eastside Sunday morning at 8am Christ Baptist Church 408 East 8th Street Wilmington, Dela… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- Saw 3 Frenchies in 3 minutes and I’m moving back to #Boston. #byeforever ✌🏻 cc: @ccarl 26 minutes ago
- RT @petersagal: Just got off the plane in PHI following an elderly man (over 80) slowly up the jetway and got to listen to him quietly sing… 2 hours ago
- To beat Trump in 2020, we need someone with energy and enthusiasm to fire the people up! washex.am/2Xul1c6 via @dcexaminer 1 day ago
- I’ve got white supremacy inside of me...I grew up in America. I have to conquer it every day.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Traffic Advisory- Brenford Rd Smyrna- closed due to crash. 1 hour ago