Federal dollars normally pay for only about 6.6% of public education spending in Delaware, but dictatorial Federal programs like No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top have seriously damaged our schools instead of helping them. Regulatory compliance with US Department of Education programs sometimes costs more than the total amount awarded to the schools. Almost no Federal money reaches our classrooms without strings attached that remove authority from parents, teachers, and locally elected school boards.
Before 1979, Federal involvement in public education was controlled by a sub-section of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. The US Department of Education has not materially improved student performance or school quality in thirty years, despite billions of dollars being poured into top-down initiatives every time a presidential administration changes. This has to stop.
The US Department of Education should be abolished, and the necessary funding and compliance services that constitute the Federal role in public education should be brought back under the Department of Health and Human Services. Except when prevented by statute law (e.g. special education funding), Federal funds for public education should be block-granted to the states, with a prohibition against the state departments of education taking more than 10% of the total as an administrative pass-through cost.
The best strategy for the Federal government to pursue in public education is to hand back as much authority and resources as possible to the school districts themselves.
Cape Gazette ( Sussex County Delaware)
Selma Gibson 1/20/1942 – 2/18/2018 God Protect Your Soul Red Clay Title 1 TV Host
Just Facts on Tonight, CSD BOE voted to send… John Young on Delaware Governor closes publi… John Kowalko on Delaware Governor closes publi… Just Facts on Delaware Governor closes publi… John Kowalko on Delaware Governor closes publi… Just Facts on Delaware Governor closes publi… John Kowalko on Delaware Governor closes publi… Arthur on Delaware Governor closes publi… Just Facts on Delaware Governor closes publi… John Kowalko on Delaware Governor closes publi…
- Tonight, CSD BOE voted to send $14K to UD in a contract. Problem? Two board members work there and failed to recuse themselves. #netDE #eduDE #ConflictOfInterest
- Delaware Governor Carney Jerry-Rigging Delaware’s School Board Election
- Delaware Governor closes public school through May 15.
- Rethinking Delaware’s resistance to online K-12 charter schools or state run online K-12 options.
- Is Facebook dancing with government allowing big brother censorship of Facebook content published by Americans?
- Say "no" to subjecting student rights to a popularity contest! thefire.org/fate-of-a-case… @cwru @StudentsforLife 16 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Anyone know what the "much very good" information is that he's citing? Asking for all the helpless children who rel… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- Men’s Breakfast kicking off Men’s Season 2020 this morning @christbaptistchurchde. #mensfellowship #mensbreakfast… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- RT @SeanGreeneWDEL: Funland in Rehoboth with an update on their status for the summer, amusements not included in the Phase 1 reopening pla… 2 hours ago
- @CThirtstrap @marcus4america @mondaleRobinson @drjasonjohnson 4 days ago
- This is a conversation with my dear Brother Marcus Ferrell and Mondale Robinson and Jason Johnson. WATCH:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- UPDATE:Roadway is now open. 15 hours ago