Federal dollars normally pay for only about 6.6% of public education spending in Delaware, but dictatorial Federal programs like No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top have seriously damaged our schools instead of helping them. Regulatory compliance with US Department of Education programs sometimes costs more than the total amount awarded to the schools. Almost no Federal money reaches our classrooms without strings attached that remove authority from parents, teachers, and locally elected school boards.
Before 1979, Federal involvement in public education was controlled by a sub-section of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. The US Department of Education has not materially improved student performance or school quality in thirty years, despite billions of dollars being poured into top-down initiatives every time a presidential administration changes. This has to stop.
The US Department of Education should be abolished, and the necessary funding and compliance services that constitute the Federal role in public education should be brought back under the Department of Health and Human Services. Except when prevented by statute law (e.g. special education funding), Federal funds for public education should be block-granted to the states, with a prohibition against the state departments of education taking more than 10% of the total as an administrative pass-through cost.
The best strategy for the Federal government to pursue in public education is to hand back as much authority and resources as possible to the school districts themselves.
wgarfinkel on Momentum builds for ant-gun an… Bane on Delaware State Representative… kilroysdelaware on Delaware State Representative… Louise Truitt-Cecce on Delaware State Representative… Arthur on Former DSEA President presents… john kowalko on Are local state legislators wo… kilroysdelaware on Joe Biden “Gets It… ClancyO on Joe Biden “Gets It… Arthur on Looks like Red Clay is being s… John Young on Delaware House of Representati…
- Pelosi playing de’ facto Commander in Chief and adding danger to the world!
- King Abdullah II played for Nancy Pelosi’s Lap Dog !
- Delaware Reef Project Seeks Clean Water And Oyster Population Growth
- OMG the Red Clay fix is in! Dysfunction
- Thanks to a few Red Clay Board member network with an anti-gun rights group just to take out a fellow board member wanting to run for board president Wednesday 8/14/2019 board meeting the pro and anti gun right groups will be pitted against each other.
- RT @TheFIREorg: Does free speech exist? According to @CardozoLaw professor Stanley Fish, it does not. Listen to the discussion with @The… 10 hours ago
Delaware DOE Charter Schools
- Annnnnnnnd.... It's only Monday. Phew. 4 hours ago
- The Saints that SLAY Paint the City PINK Brunch Church Girls Rock Women’s Ministry Christ Baptist Church 2 weeks ago
- TRUMP DOUBLES DOWN! Will Enforce Ban on Immigrants from Areas with Record of Terrorism Against... fb.me/12Tw0UMNe 3 years ago
- Follow @acherry13
- RT @JeritRoser: Thaddeus Moss, who doesn’t eat seafood, sharing a story following one of Clyde Edwards-Helaire’s hunting trips: “I said, ‘… 7 hours ago
- We must find joy in the struggle. In this @Salon article, I share why I was critical of Obama, why I'm backing… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- I enjoyed my conversation with brother @chaunceydevega -- Take a listen! bit.ly/32fe2Sp 6 days ago
- Traffic update-DUPONT BLVD/ E REDDEN RD- GEORGETOWN IS REOPENED 11 hours ago