For sure Delaware Governor Jack Markell will remark on freedom and American apple pie during his weekly address. However, coming from a man who runs his administration like a star chamber protecting the elitist within, his words won’t be taken to heart by the citizen of Delaware.
As Markell reflects back on the struggles of American independence I must remind you that Delaware firist governor, Governor John McKinly was capture and held prisoner by the British in 1777. All these years later comes Delaware Jack Markell and what does he do? He operates his administration in the dark at the same time others proclaim him the Change Agent especially in regards to public education. Markell was all for open-government but the open part of government he open was it’s checkbook to feed Wall Street bedfellows wanting to feed off of education funding. The biggest insult to freedom is Markell willingness to close Reach and Pencader charter schools that failed because Markell political clones running the Delaware Department of Education failed to follow laws set by Delaware legislators. Markell allowed the executioner’s ax fall long before due-process and the required vote by the Delaware State Board of Education. Markell seems to enjoy the anguish Reach and Pencader’s parents and students are enduring.
Over the last ten years I visited graves and battles grounds of those who fought in the American Revolutionary War. Watched monuments unveiled and even on one occasion help set the foundation for a plaque. I’ve met with descendants of Richard Henry Lee and others who dare to protest King George III during the signing of the Leestown Resolutions protesting the Stamp Act of 1766. Baby Kilroy took his rightful place during the reenactment of the signing of that document by his ancestors. One thing for sure if this were the year 1777 and Markell was governor he would be a loyalist wearing gold-lace royal knee-pads. Delaware Governor Markell has no intention opening state government where he has great power to do so through executive orders. Rumor has it when Markell takes a shit on his royal throne at the governor’s house the people pay for he yells out, “flush twice it’s a long way to Pencader and Reach charter schools”.
Not only is Jack Markell the worst Delaware governor on education he is the biggest coward. When any good news about Delaware public schools makes the headlines Markell is there it make a public comment taking credit. Any bad news he’ll send in his News Journal throwaway to make bullshit shallow comments on his behalf. Jack has no remorse for ordering the Delaware Department of Education to turn off the money supply July 1, 2011 to Pencader and Reach. Little does he know or comprehend he is turning the gas on these children suffocating their dreams of an education in school they chose through a free process. Jack perhaps grasshopper has a problem looking you in the eye during a hand shake because your eyes are empty of a man.
(1) For the purposes of this section a local school district or charter school shall be considered in financial distress when 1 or more of the following criteria are met:
a. The district financial position report required to be submitted on May 1, pursuant to § 1507(a) of this title, projects less than 1 month’s carryover; or
b. It is projected at any time during the course of the fiscal year that local payroll expenses will exceed projected local revenues; or
c. The charter school has been placed on formal review based, at least in part, on concerns regarding the charter school’s finances; or
d. Whenever a school district or charter school projects that it cannot fund 1 or more scheduled payroll disbursements.
(2) During any period of time when it is determined that a school district or charter school is in financial distress, the Financial Recovery Team shall be empowered to exercise, subject to the approval of the Secretary, control over the expenditure of funds appropriated to a school district or charter school as deemed necessary by the members of the Team. Control shall include, without limiting the foregoing, the right to approve the school district’s or charter school’s annual budget and any subsequent material amendment thereto, the right to approve district tax rates, the right to request drawdown of state financial assistance if applicable, the right to approve financial reporting to the local board of education or charter school board, the right to approve accounting policies, procedures and reports, the right to require a Financial Responsibility Committee be established by the local school board or charter school comprised of 1 or more members of the said board and/or residents of the district or, in the case of a charter school, parents of students attending the school. The Committee shall examine and report on the financial status of the district or charter school and shall have the right to pre-approve any obligation or contract that would require the expenditure of funds by the school district or charter school. Notwithstanding any provision of either this Code or any applicable rule or regulation to the contrary, the authority extended under this section shall apply to the expenditure of all funds received by a school district or charter school.
(3) The Financial Recovery Team shall report at least monthly to the Governor, the General Assembly, Director and the Controller General regarding the district’s or charter school’s current and projected financial position.
(4) The district or charter school shall reimburse the State for all salary and related costs of the Financial Recovery Team.
(5) Upon the recommendation of the Secretary that a school district or charter school is no longer in financial distress as defined in this section, the Director, with the consent of the Controller General, may elect to remove the members of the Financial Recovery Team.”
So does this now put Reach and Pencader into financial recovery status ?????????? Assuming Markell signs it before the next state board of education meeting and effective date is upon his signature?
Think about this, HB#205 included putting charter school under the financial stress / recover clause in the law with traditional public schools. This action signals perhaps it was an oversight whereas it would of had applied to Pencader and Reach. To say TOO BAD Reach and Pencader the law applies to prevent future system failures would be bullshit. If no effective date is indicated in the text of the legislation therefore it is effective upon signing by the governor. Since no state board action has stated these schools will be close HB#205 should apply.
See Comments under my last post; Delaware State Board of Education wants to hear from parents
I have it on good authority a representative of the Delaware Department of Justice did communicate to Pencader Charter School officials to communicate to parents and community members NOT TO E-MAIL Delaware State Board of Education board members as “SBE can only view evidence that is part of the “record.”
Why is the DOJ getting involved in a school charter school review? At least at Pencader there is no criminal investigation! “Evidence” cut me a break ! What information provided DEDOE re: charter school reviews are responses to questions.
Conduct of Members
Delaware Code, Title 29, Chapter 58 provides the laws regulating the conduct of officers and employees of the State of Delaware. Members of the State Board of
Education are subject to certain of the provisions of that statute in that they are included in the definition of “state agency” 29 Del.C. §5804(11) and the definition of “honorary state official” 29 Del.C. §5804(6). For that reason, members of the Board are encouraged to become familiar with the provisions of that chapter. The following issues are of particular concern.
So by law they are “honorary state officials”
Legal counsel to the State Board of Education is provided by the State Department of Justice and the Attorney General’s Office in accordance with 29 Del.C. §2504. (In accordance with 29 Del.C. §2507, no agency board, or commission shall employ legal counsel except with approval of the Attorney General and Governor.)
Did the DOJ offer Reach and Pencader legal counsel?
Normally the Board will not respond to questions or comments at the meeting but
will may respond in writing to each person or group. Written responses will not be made to persons/groups addressing action items on the agenda.
The “will” is officially crossed out and may inserted. From what I see parents E-mailing state board member are requesting them to respond to action items on the agenda. There has been no action taken or on the agenda. Does anyone have a copy of July’s agenda?
3.6.1 Strict rules of evidence shall not apply. Evidence having probative value commonly accepted by reasonably prudent people in the conduct of their affairs may be admitted into evidence
Does those mean evidence in a charter school review aren’t always generated by DEDOE or responding charter school? Ok, so parents hold off trying to communicated with the Delaware State Board of Education and speak up at the Public Hearings, July 11, 2011 for Reach and July 13, 2011 for Pencader. Sadly all seem predetermined.
Parents if all is true and you are advised not to E-mail the Delaware State Board of Education on the charter school review process please stop.
Before Governor Markell came into office the Delaware State Board of Education member’s E-mail addresses were post on DEDOE website. They have been removed and I see this as evidence Jack Markell who ran on open government broke one of his campaign promises. The E-mail address that were provide on previous post was compliments of the blog Children and Educators First
I am back !!!!!!!!
So let’s get this right ! DEDOE disregards state laws pertaining to required Citizen Budget Oversight Committees and Annual Delaware Charter School Reports and they get legal representation by the Delaware Department of Justice headed by Beau Biden, Vice Prsident Joe Biden’s son. Whereas the people / children victimized by failures at the Delaware Department of Education and charter schools in question relieve no legal support from the Delaware Department of Justice.
Happy fucking 4th of July people! We the people don’t mean shit in Delaware.