Anonymous said…”what of all the students who choice into the district from surrounding districts?”
You have a vaild point as those students don’t bring captital funding just like CSW.
Becnel’s position had validity whereas Red Clay (right or wrong) did form CSW. However, though chartered by Red Clay doesn’t make it a Red Clay charter school. The CSW charter is a legal corporation and Red Clay is not part of that entity.
§ 504. Corporate status. (a) A charter school shall be organized and managed under the Delaware General Corporation Law.
By law Red Clay or any school district “must” allow a charter school to lease space no longer needed within a public school.
§ 504A. Powers.(6);“that a school district must make unused buildings or space (defined as space no longer needed, permanently or temporarily, for non-charter school purposes) buildings or space in buildings available to a charter school, and shall bargain in good faith over the cost of rent, services and maintenance related to such space;”
See good faith over cost of “rent”, services” and “maintenance” Red Clay in good faith charges “services” and “maintenance” but the question is rent.
Another point is the space that once no longer needed is now needed for central office as Red Clay will be vacating Linden Park. Is it OK for the district to tell Baltz community sorry we need some of that space so now you can’t have K-8 and we’re going to bus you to another school? We’re asking to show compassion to CSW but where is the compassion to Baltz. Red Clay sold their Washington Street “office building” to Christiana Care and used that money to buy Brandywine Springs because the voters voted down a referendum to buy Brandywine Springs. The board got “creative” in “acquiring” Brandywine Springs. This district yielded to the parents of Brandywine Springs to expanded K-8 forcing central office out of the annex building and into a multi million dollar Linden Park lease.
Why did the district say yes to Brandywine Springs parents and too bad to the Baltz community? The fact remains the district needs space for central office. So who pays the price whereas Red Clay needs the CSW space back? They can use some of CSW space for central offices and other to expand the popular Cab program. Now if the district were to move the central office into Warner which is only at half student building capacity then I’ll support no rent for CSW. This way CSW gets what they want, Red Clay “taxpayers” don’t fund Linden Park and Baltz can expand as planned. The only cost to Red Clay is need construction to Warner for offices.
I understand Becnel’s position and Buckley’s but at the end of the day can we cut cost by moving central office to Warner? Also, why did Mr. Buckley wait until the eve of reauthorizing CSW charter to create such drama whereas the issue has been on the front burner for well over a year?
Anonymous is correct what about the out of district choice students no bring capital dollars? If break down the capital expenditures to CSW where Red Clay is only responsible for the local share factor in the square footage of CSW and then analyze the difference between 53% Red Clay students and the negative factor of 47% non Red Clay district students it’s no much as many think. I know the answered but this one is on you folks to figure out.
Never mind I’ll do it myself:
The capital expenditures of $23,000,000.00 that went into Wilmington Campus breaks down to 60% local tax $13,800,000.00 and 40% state share of $9,200,000.00. Factoring out the 53% Red Clay students where their parents pay capital expense tax the bottom line is Red Clay taxpayers funded $4,320,000.00 for the benefit of non Red Clay students. That leaves 47% of non-Red Clay students. So where are at, half Cab / CSW = $2,160,000.00 each. How much can we save by moving central office from Linden Park to Warner’s half empty building? Warner is at 50% student capacity.
Filed under: Uncategorized | 13 Comments »